Cute Idiot

I never got to meet Jade's mom that day but I didn't mind. From what I heard, she was crazy and it was probably best I didn't meet her. Her meeting mom was already embarrassing enough for me.

Mom said nothing as we went to the car but I kept catching her smiling at me. That was one thing I hated about liking someone.

I took mom's phone from the holder on the dash board and called Aunt Emma. She answered on the first ring.

"No, you can't come home yet."

"Emma, it's me. I'm not feeling good and I just want to lie down."

"Dyl-" Mom started. I waved her off.

Emma sighed. "Alright. But if your mom gets in my way..."

I laughed. "Feel free to kick her out."

She laughed. "See you when you get home, sweetie."

I handed the phone back to mom. "I'm fine, mom. I left my phone at home and I want to check my messages."

"You're sure you're feeling okay?" She put a hand on my forehead, as if a fever was the worst thing that could happen to me.

I shrugged her off, laughing like it was no big deal. But the thought of still being sick terrified me. What if the bacteria were laying low, under the radar, and I had to get more surgery? Lose more of myself? I could deal with my current situation but losing anymore would be devastating. "Yeah, mom. I'm fine."

She pulled out of the spot and drove toward the main road. "Is this about that girl that was in the waiting room?"

I groaned. "Seriously, mom? Can we not talk about this?"

"Your brother doesn't tell me anything about him and Bria. It's the least you can do."

"Can't I get any privacy?"

"Not until you're eighteen."

I sighed and looked out the window. "Her name's Jade. I don't know why she was at the hospital but she's missing her right arm."

"She seems really sweet."

"She said her mom's crazy so I guess that's one thing we have in common."

She tried to look mad but a laugh escaped her lips and it was one of the few times I saw her genuinely happy since the accident. "You're such a brat."

"I get it from you."

---

If I had working legs, I would have ran to my room, threw open my dresser drawer, and turned my phone on. But I didn't so I had to rely on mom to help me get to my room. I made her leave once I got my phone, not wanting her to see how excited I was.

Sure enough, there was a message from an unknown number. It's me, the girl with one arm. Isn't it funny how I have one arm and two legs and you only have one arm? Weird how life works. Anyway, thanks for letting me hide out in your room. I hope your mom isn't as crazy as mine cause she seems nice. If you ever happen to be on Franklin, my house is the one with the crazy flowers out front. P.S. Stop smiling. You look like an idiot.

Then another message: A cute idiot.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and couldn't hide the smile that I had on my face. It was crazy how well she knew me yet we'd only met just an hour or less before.

Did she like me as much as I liked her?