Ready To Eat

Mom went to bed early that night. Once we got home, she busied herself with housework and cleaning and didn't bring up anything more. Luke brought Mel back and they talked for only a few minutes before he left. Sure enough, she didn't want to cook and gave in pretty early on our pizza request.

Her sadness from earlier was still on my mind as I watched her from the doorway. I couldn't stop thinking about it, thinking it was my fault. She was fine before I got sick. We'd all been fine before I got sick.

I rolled my wheelchair into her room and to the other side of the bed. I moved onto her bed and lifted the blanket so I could get comfortable beside her.

As I did so, I noticed her eyes were filled with tears and her face had a wet sheen to it. I decided I needed to step it up if I was going to get her out of the funk she was in.

I slid closer to her and rested my head on the pillow.

"Dylan, are you okay?" She asked, her voice thick.

I bit my bottom lip, glad my face was out of view, and nodded.

She wrapped her arms around me and held me in her arms.

I pushed my sleeves down, hiding my hand, and stump, from view. I shut my eyes and felt myself relax in her arms. Mom's bed was bigger than mine and always had enough room for Jake, Mel, and I whenever we needed comforting. Mom was always there for us when we weren't doing okay. It was time we were there for her when she was going through stuff.

I fell asleep quickly, more so than I was able to when I slept in my own room by myself. It had to have been because of mom.

---

I woke up alone, the blankets tucked in around me. Bright sunlight was coming in through the windows, causing me to squint as I sat up.

Mom wasn't in the room and when I saw the time, I understood why. It was almost noon and if my time and days were correct, it was a Thursday. I should have been awake and in school. I missed school all week and it worried me that I'd fall behind.

I slid into my wheelchair and left mom's room, pulling the door shut behind me. My hair was a mess and my sweatshirt had gotten twisted around while I slept, putting the logo of our school on my side instead of on my chest.

But I needed to focus on not hitting the wall, especially if I wanted to prove Jake wrong. So my appearance would have to wait.

Mom was standing in the kitchen, making something at the stove, when I entered the room. I stopped in front of the fridge and pulled a water off the door.

"What are you making?" I asked, peering past her. I couldn't see much and my level made it hard to see the counter top or stove top.

She looked over at me and smiled. She looked better today. Happier. "I thought I'd make us tacos for lunch since it's just the two of us."

I held back a smile as I spoke. "I can't really eat tacos anymore, mom. I only have one hand."

She pursed her lips. "Well... I guess we'll have to make nachos then."

I laughed. "It's okay, mom. I really just want things to go back to normal."

"Things won't be completely normal, sweetie."

"I'm okay with that. I just don't want you guys to treat me any differently."

She set the wooden spoon against the pan then turned to face me. "I want things to be normal for you, too. But this is new to all of us. I mean, don't get upset if Mel's still asking about your legs in a year or more."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm sure she'll never drop it."

Mom ruffled my hair. "I'm glad you're doing better, Dyl. It worries me when you're not doing okay."

"Mom, this is what I'm talking about."

She tuned back to the stove. "I'd say the same to your brother and to Mel. This has nothing to do with the accident."

It still felt weird to me, even all those months later, to call what happened an accident. It felt like one, to an extent. But it wasn't a car accident or something that happened at football practice. I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. It could have happened to Mel or Jake but it only happened to me.

And in a way, I was glad it was me. I didn't want to see anyone go through what I did. I was managing but there were days that it was hard to get through the day. Having Jade around honestly and truly helped me get past all my anger and hurt over what happened to me.

Mom poured the meat into a bowl and turned to face me. "Ready to eat?"

---

Thank you guys so much for reading A Summer To Remember and giving it so much love. There are about ten chapters left so stay tuned for those. Updates might slow down a bit as I'm moving the week after Thanksgiving. I'm planning a nice space for writing and working (if it comes to it) so I'm excited to be in the new place. In the meantime, check out my other stories and let me know what you think!