Call

I opened my eyes as slowly as I could, mentally preparing myself for the bright lights that were about to blind me.

I still felt extremely tired and weak. I could feel in my arms just how heavy and weighed down I was. My lack of strength was making it hard for me to feel like myself.

Mom sat by the bed, a travel cup filled with coffee in her hands. She took a small sip before she noticed I was awake. "Hey, sweetie. How are you feeling?"

I tried to push myself into a seated position but my arms weren't strong enough to pull me up. Mom used her free hand and put it under my armpit to help me sit up. I felt another hand on my left helping as well.

I let my head fall back on the pillow and looked to my left, expecting to see Jake sitting beside me. But it wasn't him.

Jade was there, much to my surprise. I wasn't sure how she found out I was in the hospital or how she got there. I had a feeling her mom wasn't the one to bring her but I didn't think Jade could drive.

She smiled at me, her eyes glossy.

"How did you get here?"

"Jake picked me up."

I raised my eyebrows. "I didn't think your mom would let you have your phone. I mean, I didn't hear from you at all."

She frowned. "You have no idea how crazy she's been. I had to sneak it from her. Thankfully, I was able to get ahold of Jake and he brought me here."

"Does your mom know you're here?" I was all for Jade leaving her mom and going behind her back. The woman was nuts and didn't want Jade to be happy. But I also didn't want to deal with the anger her mom would ultimately have toward her, and myself, over her leaving without notice.

She shook her head.

Mom sighed and got to her feet. "Let me see your phone. I'll call her and tell her where you are."

Jade's eyes widened. "No, you can't. She'll come here and take me home. I don't want to go back there yet."

"She needs to know where you are. I'm sure she's worried about you."

Jade looked to me for help but I honestly didn't know how to help her. Her mom would have jumped in the car and drove to the hospital to take her away. I knew Jade didn't want that but mom was right.

"Let my mom talk to her."

She didn't say anything more as she handed her phone over to mom. The room got quiet after mom left, the only noise coming from the machines around the bed. I had a feeling Jade was mad at me and since I didn't want to fight with her, I didn't say anything.

A knock came at the door before Jake stuck his head in, a dark jacket covering his thin frame. "Hey, can we come in?"

"We?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yeah, me and Cassie."

I was a bit surprised that he brought her considering she barely knew me. I was sure he cared more about her being uncomfortable than me but I honestly didn't care.

I shrugged.

Unlike Jade and I, Jake didn't help Cassie though it wasn't because he didn't want to. She was more able to help herself than I was and didn't need anyone taking 'pity' on her by doing what she was able to do on her own. He only held the door for her before sitting in the seat mom had been occupying.

"I brought a duffle bag of clothes for you. And your... um..."

"What, my prosthetics?"

He nodded, his face flushing.

Cassie laughed.

Jade sat up and ran her hand through her hair. "I'm gonna go talk to your mom and see if my mom is coming here. I'll be back."

I definitely knew I'd screwed up when she wouldn't look me in the eye as she left the room. She really must have been upset and I was too stupid to notice. I didn't want her to think I didn't care.

Cassie glanced at Jake before she wheeled herself toward the door. "I'm gonna go get a soda from the vending machine. Do you want anything?"

Both of us shook our heads and watched her leave.

When the door shut, Jake hit me with the back of his hand. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

I glared at him. "Why are you hitting me?"

"What did you say to Jade to make her upset?"

"Why do you care?"

"Because she's... nevermind. Just... answer my question." His face flushed as he spoke.

"You brought her here without her mom knowing. She's gonna be pissed and drive all the way here to take Jade home. Jade doesn't want to go with her."

"Then why is she mad at you?"

"I kind of agreed with mom that her mom at least needs to know where she is. I don't want her to leave when I haven't seen her in a few weeks but it's not like we have much say. She's not a legal adult."

Jake sighed. "She could file to be emancipated from her mom but I doubt she wants that."

"Eman-what?"

He rolled his eyes. "I forgot I'm talking to the dumb sibling."

This time, I hit him with my arm, hoping I used enough force to bruise him.

He opened his mouth to talk when Cassie came back. She stopped in the doorway.

"Jake, your mom invited us to get something to eat from the cafeteria. I'm starving so I said we'd go." She widened her eyes enough that I knew something was up.

Jake nodded slowly then stood. "We'll be back later."

I laid back down and rolled onto my side. I hated the thought that I had made Jade mad. I never wanted to do anything to upset her. It hurt to think that I was pushing her away without realizing it.