Falling

Thank you all for being so patient while I deal with life. It can be so unexpected at times. I'm working on updating but my mind hasn't been in the greatest place lately. I'm sorry for keeping you all waiting so long.

---

Jade laughed and took a step back. "You can do this, Dyl."

"Then why are you laughing?"

She bit her lip. "I'm just happy for you."

"Your laughing isn't helping." I said, wobbling on my feet. I didn't think it would be weird learning to walk again. I knew how the process worked. This time was so much more different from what I was used to. The prosthetics weren't apart of me like my legs had been. My brain couldn't make them move the same way.

But Jade was supportive and wanted me to learn.

She stopped backing up until I was close to her. I hadn't realized it until then that I was taller than her. I really liked that.

Her cheeks began to flush and I found it hard to stop the smile on my face from spreading.

"What?" She breathed, her voice low and almost seductive.

"I like you from this angle."

"You don't like me from any other angle then?"

I rolled my eyes. "It's just not the same."

She stretched up on her tippy-toes and kissed me lightly on the lips. "Well, I like this angle too."

I smiled down at her a began to wonder if any of the meds I was on were for the pain to make me feel dopey. Because that was what I was feeling. Just so utterly in love and happy.

"Hey, lovebirds. Dinner's ready." Jake stood in the doorway that lead into the kitchen. He looked at us with narrow eyes and I presumed it was due to the setting sun that was in his eyes and not of jealousy that we were happy and in love.

Jade smiled at me as she pulled away and headed inside. "Thanks for letting us know, Jakey."

He rolled his eyes and turned back around to go in.

I raised my eyes as Jade stopped and looked over her shoulder at me. "Aren't you coming?"

"You want me to walk all that way by myself?" At that point, we were on the other side of the yard with minimal sidewalk for me to have a steady balance. It seemed intimidating to walk the distance by myself. Which then made me feel stupid.

She nodded.

I took a deep breath before I started to take my first step. I still wasn't used to the motion of walking yet, especially without having knees. My legs just didn't move like they used to.

I tripped over my feet and went down. Luckily I fell on my bottom so I didn't have to try and catch myself. But it did still hurt, nonetheless.

Jade ran over to me and leaned over me, her forehead crinkled. "Are you okay?"

I reached my hand up to her, hoping she'd help me up. "I need to get used to falling."

She grabbed my hand but wasn't able to help me to my feet. I was too much bigger than her. But I knew and expected that.

I pulled her in my direction which sent her toppling onto me. She fell right on me, her chest hitting mine.

I grabbed her arm to steady her and watched her with a grin on my face.

"Dyl, I'm-" She saw the smile on my face and pushed herself off, rolling onto the grass beside me. "You're a jerk."

I laughed and rolled over her, using my elbows to keep me from putting too much of my weight on her. "Maybe this is my payback for you laughing at me."

She rolled her eyes. "I hope it did hurt when you fell."

My heart pounded in my chest as I leaned down and kissed her. My hair brushed against her face and reminded me just how badly I needed to get it cut.

"You're worth it."

"The neighbors don't want to see you having sex in the backyard."

I looked over my shoulder to see Jake watching us again. I was sure he was getting sick of yelling for us. He wasn't the biggest fan of Jade and tried to avoid her when he could. I knew it wasn't personal but after his break up, he wasn't up for romance in any form.

Jade giggled. "Yeah, Dyl."

My face blushed as I gave Jade room to get up and help me back to my feet. I followed her across the yard and to the door without falling once.

Well... maybe just once.