Embarrassed

"I had a really good time tonight." Jade said, pulling the blanket up to her chin. Her phone was propped on its side on her nightstand.

"I did too."

"How mad was your brother?"

I rolled my eyes. "I don't think he cared. He knows there's nothing going on between you two but it's convincing Bria of that that's the issue."

She nodded. "I hope they don't break up because of me."

"Bria always has some sort of drama going on so maybe it's for the best."

"I have drama."

I raised my eyebrows. "With who?"

"People are always talking about me. I am the girl with one arm, after all. They don't say stuff about you at your school?"

I guess I had never noticed it much. People talked about each other all the time and it was background noise anymore. I wasn't into drama or talking about people behind their backs. I had other things to worry about. Now more than ever. "They probably do but I don't pay much attention to it."

"I wish I had that kind of self-control."

"Come to my school and you won't focus on anything but me."

She laughed. "That'd be a pretty boring day. Every day."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever."

Someone knocked on the door and I jumped. I was almost sure it was Jake, telling me to shut up and go to sleep.

Then mom stuck her head in. "Are you okay, sweetie?"

I pushed myself into a sitting position and used the phone light to illuminate my face. "Yeah, mom. I'm fine."

"I heard you talking and I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"He's talking to me. I hope he didn't wake you up." Jade said through the phone, talking loud enough that mom could hear her.

"Hi, Jade."

"Mom, can you give me some privacy?"

She smiled and started to pull the door shut. "Don't stay up too late."

I rolled my eyes. If my life could get any more embarrassing...

Jade laughed. "Don't be mad at your mom. She means well."

"Does that apply to you and your mom?"

She sighed. "It's complicated, Dyl."

I knew she had issues with her mom. For all I knew, they never got along. I couldn't imagine living with someone who I couldn't stand all the time. Especially if it was my mom.

"Talk to me about it."

She rolled onto her back and stared up at the ceiling. "You're close with your mom. I'm not. She always wants to stay inside and protect us from all the dangers of the world. I'm not living. I don't get to see what's out there for me and it limits what I can do. I don't need that when I already only have one arm."

I rolled onto my side and watched her through the screen of my phone. "I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I'm sure your mom means well."

"Do you think that she just... doesn't understand what it's doing to me?"

"Have you ever talked to her about it before?"

"She just keeps telling me it's for the best. She's helping me. The words don't sink in like they need to."

"Maybe I can talk to her. Or my mom can."

She smiled. "You don't have to, Dyl."

"If it means I can see you more, I'd do it."

"I need to get some sleep. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Goodnight, Jade."

"Night, Dyl."