Capítulo Treinta y Siete

A/n: The quote above, like my others, is from a song.

Chapter 37

The air was cold as we rushed through the streets, my heart thumping with adrenaline and fear. Nothing felt like a good run in the middle of the night.

Thanks to my mother.

Apparently, stealing candy from a baby isn't very easy. Or, in this case, stealing a million dollars from a retired army officer, who still has all of his big guns.

My feet slowed down, my mind coming to rest with the fact that the idea Jax had conjured wasn't exactly going to plan, and so far, I'd found out absolutely nada about what my mom was plotting to do with the whole situation of putting down the gang.

Vicky noticed and slowed down with me, Emma rolling her perfect blue eyes and carrying on towards the car, but slowing down nonetheless.

"What's up?" She asks, jogging at the same pace. I sigh.

"Nothing. I'm just tired," I shrug, not wanting to make conversation, but knowing that I owe it to Vicky for saving my life that one time.

She smiles. "You miss Turner." It wasn't a question.

"What makes you think that?" I innocently ask, my voice going high an octave. Vicky snorts.

"I've seen that look before, on other girls," She smiles, and suddenly, I feel like punching her face.

"Yeah, well, I'm not 'other girls'," I answer her, feeling the absolute opposite of my words. This time, Emma's perfect figure falls in step with us, laughing.

"Um, yeah, you are. Just like I was another girl, and Vicky was another girl, and those three idiots--" She points to Rachel, Jenna and Vera. "--were other girls."

I roll my eyes. "How come he didn't come after you two, then? You two are still standing." Vicky and Emma share a look.

Just as Vicky opens her mouth, a loud screech fills our ears and several things happen at once.

From behind us, we hear the sirens of a cop car, and from the front, a dark shadow grabs Rachel's wrist and pulls her into an alleyway. 

Max, Dorian, and Teel run after her, and mom ushers everyone else to hurry up and run towards the car. We make it.

Or, actually, they make it. But since Emma, Vicky and I were slowing down, the cops caught up to us, and it was in that moment that I realized...I was going to jail.

My heart thudded in my chest as we heard the cock of several guns behind us. "Stop running and put your hands in the air!"

The three of us stop, and just as I turn around, I catch the glint of my mother's eye, leaning down in her car seat so as not to get caught. They shine guiltily.

Of course, she isn't going to save me. She was never planning on it.

"Hands in the air!" The policeman in the middle screams, pointing his gun at me. The other two by his side were focusing on Vicky and Emma.

I slowly turn towards them, arms up, squinting my eyes from the bright flashlights in the dark of the night.

"We're screwed," Emma mutters as quietly from next to me. I gulp, her words not making it any better, and Vicky glares at her from across.

"Against the car, girls," The man says, pointing his gun to the three cars they'd come in.

Really? A car for each? Idiots.

I shuffle towards the car, and as slyly as I can, when neither man is looking, shove my gun through my pants and into the middle.

As the man behind me is patting me down, I suck in from between my teeth when he goes close to my gun - which is basically in a no-go area.