Capítulo Cuarenta y Ocho

Chapter 48

I'm about to walk in through the door, but the look on Ace's face makes me hesitate.

"What? Why do you look like you regret every choice you ever made in life?" I ask, narrowing my eyes. He glares at me.

"However specific that may be, I definitely regret this fucking moment of my life," He scoffs, but the look in his eye is still there.

As if something seems to be holding him back.

"Well? You going to tell me what's wrong?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. He gives me an observing look.

"Before I saw what was written on your arm, I was going to wait for one of the other members to break it to you, but...fuck, I don't know what to do," He mumbles, rubbing a hand over his face.

My heart starts beating a little faster.

Did something happen? Is something wrong?

As a matter of fact, I never asked where Arsen went after he tried to stop me.

"What is it, Ace?" I ask, trying to sound firm but my voice shakes a little.

Kind of weird, huh? How I was killing without thinking a few hours ago and yet, right now, the thought of bad news makes me want to crumble.

I guess I'm already willing to die for these guys. They're like family now.

Ace shakes his head and steps back.

"Read the note for yourself, Xanthe," He growls, turning to look into the room.

I furrow my eyebrows, wondering what he's looking at until I actually enter the room. Realization settles in on how serious this problem really is.

"Guys?" I whisper, looking at the gang sitting around in Ace's room.

Even Jax looks dispirited - distant.

He still gives me a small smile, though.

"Here, Xanthe," Ameena's voice brings me out of my trance, and she passes me a folded piece of paper, a grim look on her face.

I swallow, not feeling like reading the letter if it brings this much seriousness.

Taking it from her, a little slowly, I open it and recognize the curvy handwriting immediately.

It's from Arsen.

Shit, what happened?

I read it.

"Xanthe.

I'm leaving for nine months.

It's not a year, so don't try to find me. I'll be back.

I don't make promises, but this is one I'll keep.

I'm leaving you in charge, so don't mess up my gang.

Or yourself.

I tried making you as dangerous as I could. Don't ruin my work.

Tell them the news.

I'll be back. In nine months.

Wait. For me.

Arsen."

The letter scrunches up in my hand, and my eyes blur from the tears.