Capítulo Cuarenta

Chapter 40

One Year and Six Months Ago

"Xena, could you pass me the blow dryer from my desk?" I ask, my arm outstretched towards her.

"No, you're closer," She mumbles, finishing her hockey crossword with an evil laugh. I roll my eyes.

"Please, Xen, I don't want to look like Medusa on my date tonight," I tell her, giving her my sad puppy dogs eyes. She raises an eyebrow.

"Ugh, fine. Here, tame your snakes," She badly puns, passing me the blow dryer as we both foolishly laugh at her kind of funny joke.

Actually, no, it wasn't funny at all. Maybe it was. Or...no, it wasn't. But oh gosh, I am so excited for tonight! Not only am I turning eighteen, but I'm becoming a man! Um, a woman.

And who better to spend it with if not my gorgeous, loving boyfriend?

I never knew I'd be in love this quick. But I am. I mean, I think it's love, he's all I dream about.

It's got to be love.

"Do you think Jer has the guts to officially ask you to prom tonight?" Xena asks as she bounces a basketball on the floor. I jump at every throw.

Mom's been really sick and we need to let her rest. She might wake up from Xena's consistent noise!

"Quiet, Xen, you'll wake mom up," I whisper, grabbing her basketball and rolling it into a corner. She plops down on her bed with an eye roll.

"Come on, sis, tell me. You're avoiding the question," Xena points out, falling onto the bed impatiently. I sigh.

He's definitely asking me. No matter what. I'll force him to ask me, or maybe I'll just ask him myself.

"Don't worry, I'm sure he has it all planned out." I giggle as I perk up from the desk.

I'm so excited I could burst! Will he like my hair?

"Xanny, get back down," Xena sighs. I give her a confusing look as I sit back on the chair again.

"Why?" I mutter, curious as to what she's going to do with that hair curler.

Oh, curl my hair, obviously. Even Xena rolled her eyes.

"Xanny, you can't go on your date looking like a cast member from Murder, She Wrote. Sit your ass down and let me help you out," She starts with her process.

I can tell she's jealous. She always wanted to have a boyfriend who loved her as much as Jerome loved me. But, when Casper left for Mexico after a week of confessing his feelings, not only Xena - but I, too - was shattered.

Casper was my crush, too. He just didn't pick me.

But Jerome did. And I love him. Sometimes, I wish I could ask Xena to come with us.

"It's a party, Xena. You know I've always wanted to attend parties with you," I try to convince her more.

Sad thing is, she always refuses when I invite her. I wonder why. Giggling slightly, I meet her eyes in the mirror.