Capítulo Cincuenta Uno

Chapter 51

Kade and I burst into the house.

I freeze when I see who's standing in front of us.

Mom.

She's got a knife pointed at Ameena, but no one else is in sight.

"What are you doing here?" I hiss, glaring at her. She laughs.

"Hello, sweetie, I was waiting for you to come home."

My eyes connect with Ameena's, and I can't help but want the sudden urge to stab my mom with the knife she's holding.

Mom always did hate guns. She would complain about them every time we watched a horror movie.

"Get out," I tell her, lifting my gun to her head. Kade next to me does the same.

"Now, now, sweetie, put that stupid weapon away," She laughs, looking as calm as ever.

"You heard her, lady," Kade spits. "Get out or I'll kill you myself."

Mom's eyes turn to Kade, and they narrow slowly.

"Who might you be?" She asks, smiling.

"Stop stalling," I hiss. Mom turns back to me.

"Did I ever tell you why I hate guns?" She asks, walking up to me and tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. I wrench away from her hand.

"I don't care," I snarl. She just laughs and points the knife at me.

"Because guns are a weapon for the lazy. Using a knife is like an exercise, you do all the work. You can make it messy. But with a gun, you're too lazy to do the dirty work," She speaks, the tip gently touching my chest.

I breathe slowly, afraid any sudden movements will cause the knife to slice right through.

I can tell Kade is struggling to refrain from shooting her for the same reason.

"When you were just a baby, Xanthe," Mom starts, looking into my eyes fondly. "I was annoyed. Xena was laying in the bed next to you, sleeping soundly. And there you were, crying and screaming as loud as you could."

I take a deep breath when I hear Xena's name. Kade tenses beside me, and I see Ameena's eyes widen from behind.

Holy--they don't know.

"I thought you'd change as you grow up," She smiles, twisting the knife.

A prickling feeling attacks me from where the knife is, but I don't dare say anything.

"But, Xanthe," Mom sighs. "You got worse. At four, you'd always chase Xena around with worms. You'd run away to the park and shove people off the swings so that you could sit on them."

I inhale sharply.

"You'd always end up ruining a party whenever we were invited, and the only person who could save you was your sister."

My heartbeat falters.

"But when the time came for you to save her, you weren't even there. She was murdered, Xanthe." Mom's eyes glass over.

My fist clenches tightly around the barrel of the gun.

"You weren't even there!" Mom repeats, finally removing the knife from me so she can turn around.

Kade is silent next to me, and only then do I realize that he never knew any of this. Neither did Ameena.

Mom turns to me. "You were the devil, Xanthe, and Xena was my angel. You took away my angel," She clears her throat and turns to Ameena, who's watching us intensely.