Chapter 15:

I was woken up by an abrupt knocking. It was still dark but at least this time it wasn't my insomnia that had woken me up. I looked over to the doorway and saw my dad.

I was weary as I couldn't walk to get away from him with my broken ankle.

He sensed my caution.

"I come in peace," he holds up his hands as if it will make him seem less like a threat.

"Since when?" I ask with an edge to my voice.

"Since you saved a little boy from being kidnapped," he replies. "You were on the news. The guy got arrested, Henry Dalton?"

Did he know the whole story? What Jack was and everything? I highly doubted it.

"Do you know why he was trying to get his kid back?" I snap.

"He thought the court's ruling was wrong," my dad replied.

"His wife came out after having their son, he wanted to transition," I reply. "You still happy with me?"

"You still saved a little boy," he replies.

"And I still like boys," I comment.

"You're confused," he continues.

"About what?" I accuse.

"There's an imbalance of chemicals somewhere," he replies.

"Oh my God, dad. This has nothing to do with any of that. There are people who have insomnia and hemophilia and depression and are straight. I was born like this, no matter what you would have told me when I was young or what I would have played with, I would have still liked boys, it's not a choice. If you came here to convince me I can still change then you can leave because it's not happening," I counter.

"Michael, I'll bring a priest. There's something wrong with you somewhere," he replies.

"No, you're banned from the room. I'm telling the doctor. I almost died and you still won't see how ridiculous this all is. Mom is dying and you won't let her see me because I like boys.Do you realize how stupid that sounds? She's dying, she's dying, she's going to be gone. We won't be able to see her and it's not fair that I don't get to spend one last Thanksgiving or Christmas or Birthday with her," I counter.

"She's dying because of you! She's repenting for your sins," he yells.

A nurse appears behind him.

"Call security, escort him out, please," I tell her.

"No, I'm trying to help you, Michael," he insists.

Two security guards come and drag him off.

My heart rate is elevated.

I lay back trying to catch my breath.

The nurse comes in to check on me.

"Are you okay?" she asks checking that my heart rate is descending and that I still have pain medication being dispersed via IV.

"Yeah, what time is it?" I ask.

"Almost 6:30 am," she answers.

"Inform the receptionist that if he comes back he's not allowed to see me," I tell her.

"I'll alert the receptionist, security and the doctor," she replies.

Patrick and Jasper would be here soon.

"Thanks," I reply.

She smiles before leaving.

Half an hour later Patrick and Jasper show up with their breakfast.