chapter 23

General pov...

For so many days, Hayden and Elena used to meet, although Hayden was hesitant, awkward in sharing his thoughts, feelings and ideas with her but her chirpiness, her ability to make him feel at ease helped them a lot. Both knew there was sexual tension between them. But they pretended to not admit it in the fear of acting on it and losing the other one. They both decided to ignore it to not push the other away from each other. They meet whenever they got time from their busy schedules whether it was lunch time, or some mutual free time during break from meetings.
Hayden was seen more relaxed, more happy than peaceful. His friends and closed ones could notice the change in his behaviour when he would not scowl at them and succumbed to their wishes. But still he was stiff with them. There was a change but it was only noticeable if you either lived with him or were regularly in touch with him.
With Elena he would be more relaxed and laid back giving her small smiles, sometimes a broad one or even laughter if they were cracking lame jokes but when he would go to his world of business and other people he would put up his walls very well with a blank expression, curt nods, glaring at times of mistakes and eyebrows raised. Elena was in joy spending time with him, whenever she felt upset about Hayden's wedding or liking him, she would used to distract her mind doing anything and everything.
This was their usual routine from the day they decided to become friends and he decided to share his feelings with her. Today Elena decided to have lunch with him. She thought of surprising him by ordering buttermilk fried chicken. She remembered it clearly a few days ago when she asked him to play 20 questions with her to know his likes and dislikes. But he had been stubborn saying its a child's play. It was Infact, he didn't want to get his hopes high by divulging everything about him and then left alone with nobody to share with, when he has gotten used to it. And Elena being Elena had to make him spill his likes, tastes by playing friends card and giving innocent puppy eyes.
So here she was now driving to his office to have his favourite lunch with him. She wanted to see him happy even if as a Friend. No wonder people does not dare reply back to him because of his powerful aura and permanent blank expression etched on his face but when you get to know him beyond those walls, he was every woman's dream and not because of his money or looks but due to his generous heart which he tried to hide under the facade of cold look even in front of her sometimes. But she was trying to decode him bit by bit.
By the time she was thinking about it, she reached the parking lot of McCarthy building. She parked her car, got her things, food bag and rushed to his floor in public elevator. On reaching the top floor she warmly greeted Delilah, over the time they had warmed upto each other because of her frequent visits. She asked her If Hayden was in his office or conference meeting. When Delilah confirmed that he was in the conference room attending meeting and office was free, she cherrily skipped steps, barged into his room with a broad grin which soon faltered upon facing the crashing reality - Veronica Martin.
Hayden was in the middle of a meeting but he was not attentive, he was just nodding under the pretence of listening and was actually thinking about Elena. How can a person be so innocent and pure hearted. He was beginning to trust her and was avoiding the nagging feeling in his mind to not trust anybody. When the meeting was over he didn't took a second and got into his office slamming the door shut without informing Delilah to hold up any vistors. But he was up for the surprise in the name Veronica Martin. She was there sitting on his chair lazily spread like she owned it. He was pissed seeing her, But maintaining his calm expression.. He got there, pulled her up from his seat, sat down on his chair and opened the file with the intention of avoiding her. This was their routine to repeat the same actions, whenever she would come by her own. He was annoyed at her being unfazed by any verbal insults or disrespect. The only thing he could do now was raise his hand on her which he couldn't because he was raised better than that. "Baby" Veronica whispered sexily
"You know you can't avoid me lifetime, we are going to marry each other." Which got Hayden's attention for real but he still showed her to be busy with his work. He started thinking about it seriously, how would he put up with this rich brat when he can't stand her for a minute and then there was Elena. He was lost in his thoughts when she smirkingly sat on his lap putting her hands on his chest trying to appease him, When they both got startled with the his office door opened, where Elena was standing beaming, got uncomfortable seeing them.
He doesn't know why he wanted to explain her that there was nothing going on, when he saw she was shifting awkwardly not matching their eyes.
"I ... I am so sorry, I will just go" Elena said hurriedly without gazing up turning to rush out of door clumsily. Hayden pushed Veronica from his lap and tried to run after her
"Wait" he said desperately trying to reach her but she had already dashed out his door. Hayden turned again to Veronica with clenched jaw and ticking nerve. "Out" He barked controlling his temper. "But who was she, coming in without your permission, tell me baby?" Veronica suspected trying to know, narrowing her eyes.
"I said out Veronica, or I will personally throw you out this time ignoring the fact that you are a woman" he said gritting his teeth. "Fine, but this topic is not over" she said stomping her feet escorting herself out.

As soon as she got out, Hayden rushed out of his office to his private elevator thinking Elena must not have gone too far, he was feeling restless to explain himself although he was getting married to Veronica and Elena was just a friend - just a friend?? Yes a friend she was - he thought but his hands were itching to hold her, walk hand in hand, explain himself that there was nothing going on.. and there was no need to be uncomfortable, that she could come in whenever she want. This thought made him smile. It was the exact opposite of how he reacted when she first barge in without confirming him at the time of his father. He was busy thinking when Delilah called him breaking reverie of his thoughts preventing him from stepping in elevator. "Not now Delilah" he said rushing.
"But sir Ms. Kingsley" he stopped listening her name
"what About Elena? Delilah say fast" he inquired coming around her desk. "She asked to give this packet to you" Delilah replied picking up a paper bag from her table to give it to him. "Thanks" he said going back to his office. He opened it and was astonished at her thoughtfulness. It was his favourite dish buttermilk fried chicken - she remembered? - he questioned or rather murmured to himself. He smiled a broad smile and thought of going after her to have lunch together.
He again rushed out of the office this time with a packet. He called her while exiting the building but she did not pick up, tried again but in vain.
Elena sat into her car after rushing out of his office and burst into tears. She didn't knew it will affect her even more now that she had enjoyed his attention, his subtle care while beings friends with him. She talked herself into not caring or bothering with his relationship but no luck. Here in the parking of his building, she has been crying for ten minutes. Thats it, she gave herself a pep talk, harshly wiped her tears and forced herself to be her usual bubbly self when a knock at her car window made her jump. Hayden was standing there in his usual cold demeanour knocking. She forced a smile and opened her window.
"Come outside" Hayden ordered her standing there in the same position. "What, why??.. and how do you know I am here?" She questioned frowning...
"Michael told me your car is still in the parking, now come outside" Hayden said with authority but she did not budge "listen I am sorry, I was just trying to surprise you" instead I got surprised she wanted to add but did not.
"Go to your fiance, we will meet some other time, also I have a meeting now" with forced conviction and a forced broad smile she started the car and rushed out of the parking lot....