Chapter 2: when the pie was opened - Part 1

Eve and Abel left Spencer's place just before six; her abuela called asking for some plantains Eve had promised to buy for her and the whereabouts of her handsome grandson-in-law. I stayed behind and helped Spencer clean up the store after the evening rush, I'd offered to help him with his room, but he had not too politely refused.

I, having nothing better to do, spent the time teasing him mercilessly about the cast off boxer brief, "it was kinda damp, Spencer, did you use it as a clean-up rag?"

"Gunter probably peed on it, okay?" his shoulders slumped.

"Not okay, just tell me the truth Spencer," I wheedled.

"I'd rather just give you my lunch money, bully."

"Gem, stop picking on my adorable Spency Wency," Mr. Meyer came out of the back, where the real bakery was housed, and beckoned us over. "It's setting up to rain; you need to get Gem home."

"Okay," Spencer loosened his apron in back.

"Leave the apron on," his dad and I begged. He glared at us and tossing the apron at his father went in back.

"Here Gem, they're a day old, but still good," he gave me a box of assorted bagels.

"Thank you," I gave him my apron. Spencer came back with my bag, my hoodie and a large umbrella.

"Ready?" I nodded and pulled my hoodie over my head, making my messy bun messier.

"Thanks again for having me, sir." I said to Mr. Meyer. He smiled genuinely and I vaporized.

"It was my pleasure, Gem, I can't say no to free labour."

"Get back to work old man," Clara shouted from the register, "slackers don't eat."

"Slave driver," he whispered behind his hand.

"What'd ya say?"

"As you command my malevolent one," he bowed his way back into the kitchen. She rolled her eyes at him.

"You come back soon Gemma," Clara waved goodbye.

"I will," I waved with my free hand.

"Don't try anything Spence," she warned.

"I wasn't planning to, now I feel like doing it to spite you."

"Doing what?" I asked him. He blushed crimson and hurried to the door.

"It's nothing," he slid the umbrella open in one fluid motion and stepped out into the drizzle.

"Gem?" Clara called. I paused in the open doorway. She was smiling wickeder than usual. "That umbrella ain't nearly big enough for two."

"I noticed," I assured her, face neutral. I waved again and closed the door. The drizzle was light but steady. The sidewalk gave off the scent of damp earth.

                                                                                                      -

We walked in relative silence, shoulders rubbing, until we were two blocks from the Bakery and the drizzle got heavier. We squeezed closer together, but by the time my house came into view, a few blocks away, the rain was coming down in torrents from the west. I'd managed to coax Spencer into putting his arm around my waist and had wrapped myself around him, but we were drenched.

Spencer's jeans were wet up to his thighs and I was regretting wearing my circle skirt and booties; I had water in my booties and my skirt clung to my legs. We made it to my porch and stood watching the sky flash in the distance.