Chapter 4: baked in a pie - Part 2

I sat up in bed.

"We should get started on that homework," he caught my arm above my elbow.

"We'll get to it, come back here," he guided my head to his shoulder. He breathed in and exhaled deeply. I laid my hand on his chest and found his heartbeat; it was slow and steady. I tilted my head up to see his face; his eyes were shut and his lids fluttered occasionally causing his lashes to tangle in his hair.

I untangled them and brushed the mass of curls off his forehead.

"Thank you," he stroked my shoulder with the hand behind my head. I cupped his face with one hand and turned him to face me pressed my lips softly against his. His eyes fluttered open.

"Gem..."

"We should get started on that homework," I said softly, still holding his face. He nodded but neither of us moved. I leaned in.

"Homework!" he said loudly. I snorted into his shoulder and started to giggle.

"Oh, gosh, Spencer," I rolled away from him and sat up. "You're so weird."

He said nothing and picked up his bag off the floor emptied it on my bed.

I let it go and went to my desk to get my books.
-

He was quieter than usual but I paid it no mind, even I had nothing worth saying. Though chaste the kiss left a sweet taste in my mouth and an urge that manifested in me like a raging beast.

"Stop thinking whatever you're thinking," I looked up at Spencer. "Your face is totally giving you away."

"Sorry."

"Let's take a break," he offered.

"Not till you're finished."

"I am, here." I took his book to look it over. "Can you check them afterwards, I brought you pastries, remember?"

"Yea, okay." I put his book on top of mines and did a barrel rolled off the bed and met him at the door.

"Very lady like."

"I've never claimed to be a lady."

"You're at least female, right?

"No claim to that either."

"I think I can work with that," he didn't sound convincing.

I hopped onto the kitchen island and opened the pastry box. I took a tart and handed the box to Spencer.

"They're mini apple pies," he took a mini pie and placed the box on the counter. "I'm trying out some new recipes."

"It's so good, do I taste maple?"

"Yep, dad's Canadian college buddy brought me some quality maple sugar."

"You're really into baking, eh?"

"Eh? We don't live that close to Canada, Gem." I took another mini pie, "but yea, I love baking and cooking, I'm into Savoury pastries and dad agreed to let me add some to next month's line up for thanksgiving." His face lit up, his hair fell across his eyes and I pushed it back. He shoved his hand into his back pocket and pulled out an elastic ponytail and handed it up to me.

"I've been meaning to get it cut," he turned his back to me.

"Don't you dare!" I gathered his silken curls to the back of his head and pulled them through the ponytail. It was a thick mass and didn't permit the band to loop a second time. He turned to face me.

"Eh hem."

We looked around together. Dad was standing in the doorway with his hands in the large pockets of his powder blue bathrobe. He wore his pyjama bottoms but his chest was bare beneath the robe. Down feathered his chest in a T shape down his belly.