Aincrad

Fighting in the frontlines is never easy. It’s been two years since they were trapped in the virtual reality world of Sword Art Online. People depend on them for their freedom, to make it out alive, to get back to the real world. And sometimes, even the strongest players break down. Ask themselves, “Would we live to fight another battle?”

But they don’t think about it at the moment. Jeongguk lies within the arms of his husband on the 22nd floor of Aincrad, where they bought a small yet cozy home, a perfect getaway from the dangers of being in the frontline. “Taehyung,” Jeongguk whispers to his lover, “if we ever get out of here, go back to the other side… will you still love me then?”

Because maybe, this love isn’t real, too.

Jeongguk’s tears prick around his eyes, the hand that hadn’t been intertwined with Taehyung’s grip onto the older’s shirt. He expects a painful answer that Taehyung only ‘married’ him for the sake of conventionality. He feels Taehyung shaking his head, and Jeongguk lifts himself up, looks into Taehyung’s eyes, he knows they’re only programmed to look real but the raw emotion behind them is something truer than Jeongguk could ever admit to himself.

“I’d find you.” Taehyung caresses his face. “I’d find you and we’ll date for real, get married, and…” He kisses Jeongguk ever-so softly; eyes closed, hand warm against his cheek, lips dancing together in harmony, “Kiss you for real. Hold you against me. I’ll never let you go, Jeonggukie.” He declares it like a promise. It is a promise, meant for the real world. To find each other again, to love each other again.

Even if everything else is fake, their love is real and true. And nothing really matters more than that.