Chapter Two - My Mentor

There was no need for the electric current anymore. The gods themselves couldn't have moved me from that spot. I looked from the wall to Master Guardian again and again. Sidarc was loving it.

"This computer, it's almost clairvoyant and it has told us some disturbing things about the future. The development of the space exploration program has become necessary for the well-being of our planet. Our people aren't ready, except maybe you."

"I don't want that job! Is it even possible?! I mean, how am I supposed to become Master Guardian, I am dozens of ranks from even being close, I have never-"

"That's enough! I have things to do and I'm not interested in babysitting my successor. Someone else will help with the details. Give it your best or end up back here. You are excused." The lights went off and the door to the chamber appeared. My wrist beeped that I was late for orbital training. I walked out of the room certain there had been a mistake.

A Privy Master was waiting for me just outside the door. Black hair bobbed just below her tiny shoulders. She must have been one of the first recruits for her hair to have grown out so much. She pounced forward as I left.

"Talaya?" she asked.

"What?" I asked. The news had stunned me, nothing made sense.

"So, you are Talaya? Excellent! I am Notawa and I have been assigned to you," she said. Her voice was so high, it sounded like the twitter of a bitter bird.

"I'm sorry, assigned? For what exactly?"

"As your mentor! I am supposed to show you the ropes, so to speak," she said.

"Aren't you a Privy Mate? Isn't this all a little below your paygrade?"

"Not at all! They promoted you to Select Reconist, didn't you get the alert a minute ago?"

"No, what alert? What was your name again?"

"It's Notawa. Wasn't that what your meeting with Master Guardian was? To get promoted?" she asked.

"No." I answered. She was a few steps behind me when I turned around. That would happen when she was so much shorter and half as fast. An administration rate by the looks of her, someone that pushed papers rather than flew planes.

My picture was above her wrist hologram. It was the one from my dossier, but it was covered in her notes. She swiped it away when she spotted me looking at it. Before I got the chance to ask about it, my wrist rang with a video comm.

"Orbital training session is canceled, please report to combat training." The message rang out around me, ending at different times.

Notawa looked as confused as I felt.

"Combat training? Isn't this the Space Academy?" I asked her.

"They constantly adjust the needs of the World Flying Force. That's all this is; a change based on needs," she told me. That sounded like bullshit. After my meeting with Master Guardian, I wasn't eager to be late. My hand touched where he had grabbed my face. No, I didn't want to meet with him again anytime soon.

"Better head that way, don't want to get in trouble twice in one day," I told her. She jogged along behind me, making the day even more strange than it had already been. The whole thing seemed like some cruel prank and it was only midmorning.

Without a second thought, we followed the new directions to the training session. Even more strange than the announcement, was the room we arrived at. It was a large open area with a giant pool in the middle. The stench of chlorine hit me as soon as we were through the door. Notawa saw me looking at the many strangers in the room.