Chapter Three- A New Friend

I headed to the medical area. There wasn't a good reason why I wanted to check on Kirtis. It felt like the right thing to do. The FFSA had their own medical team. They were very well trained to fix most medical problems in an instant. When I arrived, the Corpsman offered me a seat.

"Are you here for an exam?" she asked in a nice voice. Her crisp white uniform blended almost perfectly with the color of the walls. There were several rooms with clear windows behind her allowing floods of natural light into the room. It was a pleasant room to be in, maybe under different circumstances.

"No, I am actually here to see Kirtis Xanbuhly. Is he still here?" I asked.

"AHH!" Kirtis screamed in the other room. They must have set his nose. I cringed.

"Are you related?" she asked. I shook my head. She scanned me up and down, "girlfriend?"

"No."

"So, you are the one that broke his nose?"

"Yes, but it was an accident," Her nice face quickly turned sour.

"Kirtis will be out shortly," she said curtly. She swiveled her chair away from me.

I walked the room waiting for him to come out. It was quiet enough that I could hear two other Corpsman who were talking in another room.

"... and this whole thing is outrageous. I knew that people would end up hurt... ridiculous in our society, she's just violent and-"

The remaining conversation was lost to me because Kirtis came out. He had a clean bandage on his nose and two bruises under his eyes. That did nothing to stop the look of rage pouring out of them. "What are you doing here?" he asked me. "I have to get two hours of bone therapy because of you."

He walked to the desk where his face scan was required for leaving. The first scan failed.

"Please face here," the Corpsman said trying the scan again.

"I feel terrible," I said. The face scan failed a second time. When it did, the Corpsman hit the scanner in frustration.

"Oh please, you just want to make sure I learned my lesson," Kirtis groaned.

"Reconist! Please face here!" the Corpsman was not happy that the scans were still failing. But not nearly as irritated as I was that they were trying to scan a broken face.

"Corpsman, you might as well scan his ass for all the good it will do! That scan won't work, his face is broken! Look at it!" I yelled out pointing to the horrible bandage and his bruised eyes. The two other Corpsman poked their heads out from the back room to see why there was yelling. When they noticed it was me, they just looked at each as if to say, 'Yep, it's her.' However, Kirtis seemed amused.

"Can I just use my thumb print instead?" He asked. The thumb print scan worked the first time and we both walked out the front door.

"Just leave me alone Talaya, whatever motherly instinct is telling you to take care of me, just ignore it," He was gently touching the bandage. I wasn't sure how long it would take to heal but it already looked less swollen. The Corpsmen really did know what they were doing.

"Kirtis I'm sorry I broke your nose, really, I lost my temper"

"Yeah you look pretty sorry to me," he said.

"I am! I didn't mean to, it just happened," he was walking fast through the halls, trying to put space between us.

"Maybe next time, just maybe, you could try ignoring your inner asshole before I'm bleeding?"