Chapter 26-Discovering a Spy

Before opening the message, I stepped into the hall. Rotowey and another unknown female guard were standing near my door, both holding their shock-prods and had on their holographic projectors. Su'jee must have been busy delivering the message.

Master Guardian sat in his ornate uniform. It was pristine and crisp. The sides of his head had been recently shaved and no hair was out of place on top of his head. The scar on his face was no longer bright pink but a deep red. Even though his tone was amiable, his eyes were as sinister as ever.

"Hello Reconists, Selectmen, Admins, Privy's, and everyone else that is here at the Space Program. I am very excited to give you an update into our advancements. It is with great honor that I am going to tell you we are now ready! Ready to go into space. The new satellite will launch on Friday. I have selected two very lucky pilots to complete this mission. They will be accompanied by my second in command, Privy Master Select Geokee and Privy mate admin Su'jee. Their profiles are below, please congratulate them on this great honor. I am excited for this new chapter of our planet's life. When I began this space program, I had no idea how quickly everyone would excel. To be ready this soon, its unprecedented, so well done! Everyone has played their roles perfectly. This new satellite will give us much needed monitoring of our planet's health, it will be so simple, but it will increase our quality of life. You are the reason for this success! Tomorrow, as a celebration, I have authorized a training and class free day. Please enjoy this treat and prepare for the adventures that awaits us on Friday!"

After the message finished playing there was a pop up. It was the entire mission laid out. I saw, to no surprise, that Krit'ts and I were going to be the pilots. The addition of Geokee, however, was a surprise. This meant that I was not going to oversee the mission. I had never interacted with him, but his photo was everywhere. If Master Guardian died, he was supposed to be the one to take his place. Since I had been already chosen, if he did die, I would be subject to many test to determine if I was ready to lead. If not, Geokee would take charge until I was. He was notoriously harsh, but he didn't have the crazy look in his eyes that so often came with Sidarc. Krit'ts had probably overestimated the level of trust Sidarc had for anyone. I looked at the second guard who was smiling.

"Pretty big honor..." her words dripped with condescension.

"Back to your quarters," Rotowey barked.

"It's dinner time, I still need to eat!" I yelled. His shock-prod immediately found my back.

"Your food will be brought to you from now on," he said. The spot which he had touched with the tip, was rubbed in irritation. Who I hated more was becoming a hard question to answer; Master Guardian, or Rotowey.

"Oh Rotowey, I am not going to miss you," he laughed.

"Don't worry, I am sure they are going to give you a memorable death and a hero's burial," that stung. Instead of kicking him in the face, like my body wanted to, I snarked back, "Better than dying an unknown, kiss ass of a giant," that one got me hit hard with the shock-prod.

Rubbing the two spots where he had shocked me, I went back into my room with the door closed behind me. Now that the mission was out in the open, time was short. This escape had to happen immediately or it would be a quick death in the space pod on Friday. Krit'ts still hadn't gotten a hold of me. Each minute that passed made me more nervous. Whichever way he reacted, would determine my fate. There was no way my escape could happen unassisted. I felt hopelessly trapped in my room. This time, it was sit-ups that helped pass the hours. Not a minute too soon, a knock on my door had my heart pounding in my ears. Krit'ts was here. The guards were mysteriously absent when the door was opened.

"I sent them on a bogus mission for Master Guardian, should give us about an hour or two, here, "he said. He was holding my dinner tray.

"There is a problem," I tried to look surprised. He set the tray onto my study desk.