Prologue

February 8th, 1977

Bartholomew:

I fell to my face, biting my tongue hard.

How long had I been out here? How far had I run? I swore it had been more than a day. Every time I tried to go back home, I saw that... thing, again.

(***)

I woke up the night before... or was it two nights before?

I was home alone for the night, my parents just trusting me... I had been so happy with that.

I woke up needing to go to the bathroom. I groaned to myself, not wanting to leave the comfortable bed, but... I had to go, so I had to go. I got up, throwing off the blanket and pulling on my slippers. I kicked away the toys around my feet, I had forgotten to pick up my legos before going to bed and now they were just making this process take longer. I didn't want to turn the light back on so I just pushed them to the side to make a path to my door and make it so I could open said door.

When I looked back into the room I saw a large figure with dark black eyes staring straight at me- I jumped. I then slapped my own head, only not blushing because no one else was there. I had just freaked out at Terrance my stuffed T-Rex. I chuckled at myself and walked out the door.

I went, then returned to my room.

I... I didn't remember shutting my door.

I pushed the door open, having it catch on several of the legos that had been pushed away earlier. I must have missed a few. It was also colder than I remembered. I smiled at Terrance and froze.

The plastic eyes of my toy were not looking at me. In fact, I didn't see him at all. The window to my room was open and the screen had been cut wide open. My heart started to pound.- I wanted a babysitter now.

What looked like a tall dark straight object was now in my room. The figure was taller than me and almost looked like a straight pole. I slowly noticed it did have arms and a head, but the head and arms were so thin, at first glance, they couldn't stop the figure from looking like just a straight pole. The head of thing turned. My breath caught in my throat. It just looked at me, not moving. It was just black, no clothes, no eyes, no skin just a black human form.

Its right hand started to slowly reach up- I quickly ran past the creature in the middle of my room and jumped onto my dresser, throwing Terrance to the ground as I scrambled for the open window.

I scrambled out of the screen and dropped to the ground in the snow. I jumped to my feet and ran several meters away, cutting across the backyard to the gate. I was only wearing my slippers and pajamas, but at the moment I didn't care. I turned back around, resting on the gate. Maybe it was a trick of the dark...

A black hand grabbed the edge of the window. A head came out of that window, black with no eyes and no mouth, just the outline of a nose. I heard a growl. I pushed my back to the wooden gate, heart racing.

"It's not real, there are no monsters.- It's not real, there are no monsters.- It's not real, there are no monsters.- It's not real, there are no monsters.-" I just kept saying over and over.

Suddenly, it had teeth. Black lips pulled back revealing pure white jagged ones, like a shark, the mouth splitting straight down its face. The creature opened its mouth in absolute silence, the top of its head going back at a near ninety-degree angle.