Chapter 20: She Doesn't Matter

J-Star:

I looked down at my projector. Its battery was charged again, time for another volley of illusions. I rolled against the rock and- stopped dead.

Another explosion ripped into the battlefield, tossing the leprechauns and their creations like toys. Just before the explosion ripped out, a figure appeared near what was probably the center of impact, and just stood there, its clothes blowing in the wind but remaining undamaged as it didn't move.

All around those in the camp slowly got to their feet. The figure was a bearded man with a cane. He stood tall and stated flatly. "I claim this ship. You may all leave with your lives."

One of the leprechauns stood up. "Pharaoh trickery! You really think we're scared of you?" He and two others pointed their energy weapons straight at the man. Pulses shot out of the weapons as the man put up a hand. The energy dissipated before reaching him."

"I have no desire to fight. But if I must..." He held up his right hand higher, the speaking leprechaun floating in the air. The man waved his hand the lizard man suddenly flying off into the air as he screamed in terror flying like a rock. He was thrown so hard his body left my sight. My jaw dropped and my stomach sank.

Tarth... whatever he was, good, bad, hero, monster, he was certainly one thing. Powerful. The other two Leprechauns threw down their weapons and ran, tears of fear in their eyes as they tore away.

The mimics ambled towards him. Tarth held out a hand to me. I felt a force surround my stomach and I floated into the air and flew straight to him. He held his hand in a "stop" motion and I stopped in mid-air. "Girl, give me a piece of lint and every mimic and hunter in this forest in a mile radius will deactivate."

Not like I would have refused anyway, I fished the item from my pocket.

Several devices fell from the sky, falling on the mimics all around us, electric fields shooting out from them. The mimics fell to the ground like they had just died... of course, I had to question if they were ever alive.

The force around my torso dissipated and I dropped like a stone. I had been at eye level with Tarth- who was six feet tall and I was about five foot two. It didn't hurt but being dropped from a height like that after everything else- it just added to the intimidation.

I heard scraping and falling rocks and I looked to the right, seeing Kyle scrambling down a cliffside overlooking the valley. He ran over to Tarth. He stopped when the man turned to look at him.

"Well... this was our deal right?" he asked.

Tarth nodded his head once. He didn't turn but held up a finger to Kyle. "Give my people one hour. Her injuries are extensive and even our technology has its limits."

Kyle held both his hands in fists, putting them by his sides, his whole body shaking with tension. "I... I guess I can have patience. If that's all you ask after all this... fine." Tarth started walking towards the ship. "Wait... it's been... too long. I'm so scared for her. How soon can I see her? Even an hour..."

Xao and Bart were coming up to our small group in short order.

Tarth only turned his head to look back. He gave a small chuckle. "You don't really care how I harvest anything here, do you? You could care less. The only thing that concerns you is your friend, isn't it?" Kyle nodded eagerly. "I put you in the same room where they're operating, no telling how you might mess things up. All the same, I can put you and the others in a sort of waiting room outside her room. I'm feeling generous, that enough for you?"