Chapter 15: A Pain you Need to Feel

J-Star:

"As I said, you're cute, if I wasn't into it, I'd have shot you down."

"Nadine's a really good cook. When Jessie's back and..." he paused. "Forgot for a minute there."

I sighed. "Hey... we're getting her back." He looked back up at me and gave a side smile. "You're kinda a laid-back guy huh? Just getting a sense. This wasn't the most planned format."

"Usually."

I looked off into the distance. "What's Kyle like?"

"Hm?"

"When he's not scared, what's he like?" Xao looked back.

"Well... screw it let's take a break," Xao said scratching his head. "Kyle... cocky, super curious, kinda stubborn. He's not smarter than anyone on the team, or stronger, but when he knows what he wants, he digs his heels in and won't give up. If anyone can rescue Jess, it's him."

"He's pretty rude," I pointed out. "I see he's got a soft spot, but he's gotta be hard to put up with at times."

"Oh trust me, I've noticed." Xao laughed. "He has his flaws. He's stubborn like you wouldn't believe, and if there's one thing that guy doesn't have it's a gentle touch- at least with his tongue. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't go off an insult folks for no reason, he should just think it through more ya know?" I nodded on that note. "He's been fighting me like heck out here and he sent home two of our allies." He sighed. "But look at it this way. He sent home those friends because he was afraid for their safety. If he wanted, he could act apologetic to me, but tell me- Kyle didn't even like you for a while there. How many times has he lied to you?"

I raised a finger but then paused. "I mean, he trapped me, but that was a fight. Otherwise, he's told me things he didn't even have to. I think he tried to reform me the second he met me. You did too, but I'm pretty sure you have more of a personal stake in that."

"He sent our friends home to protect them and he won't lie to make or keep friends out here. Heck, he tried to help you out of instinct, even as he wanted you to just leave. Not to be right, but still, I can trust him completely. He's smart, knows what he wants, he's honest, he puts his friends first- girl I would follow that boy's lead to hell and back... frankly because that's where he would go if it meant saving me."

I smiled with a nod. "Wow... I see it. He's a jerk but... dang. Might miss him now." I looked down. "You know this is only temporary right?"

"Huh?"

"I'm going home after all this is over." Xao looked up at me. "I will get you guys Jessica back, that ship is going down one way or the other, and the boy Bart will survive, I promise. I don't care what I have to do."

"But you're going back to those monsters?... What about dating?"

"Maybe we have something here and... it would be wonderful if we did. Honestly, I meant what I said in the moment." I admitted. "I can save lives making deals Xao, and you and Kyle won't let me do that-will you?"

Xao closed his eyes. "We agreed to let you join us for this mission. If you don't leave them, you can't stay with us afterward, Kyle won't let you."

"And what about you?"

"Doesn't matter what I want."

"It really does. If Kyle is making you-" Xao waved a hand for me to stop.

He gritted his teeth. "For... what I want...." I waved my hand, hoping maybe... I didn't know what I wanted him to say. "The monkey king, the man who founded the tricksters and made so many of us believe we were helping people- who knows what he wanted... What I want?" I nodded. "I want to break his jaw."