FOUR

THE Red Woman, sat at the room she was a guest in at Castle Black. She watched the flames lick at the edge of the hearth in the chambers, her position static on the wooden chair. A knock on the door then abruptly interrupted her train of thoughts.

"Come in." She weakly said.

The door creaked open, revealing Ser Davos Seaworth. "Sorry, my lady, didn't mean to interrupt." He said.

"You interrupt nothing" Melisandre mumbled in a barely audible whisper.

"I assume, you know why I'm here." The Onion Knight spoke, almost wondering how the woman who had such fire within her seemed so broken. "I will after you tell me."

"It's about the Lord Commander" Davos started. He was appalled when he heard the news of Jon Snow's death, remembering the glint of pride that shone in Thorne's eyes as he openly admitted to murdering his Lord Commander alongside the other officers, then dumping his body at sea. He was more than glad when Ed brought back a number of the free folk to Castle Black to avenge Jon's murder, putting those traitors who stabbed their leader in the cells where they belonged.

"The former Lord Commander." The red head corrected.

Davos nodded his head. "Do you know of any magic that could help him? Bring him back?" He himself couldn't believe he was saying those words. It was impossible, he knew that. Jon's body was lost at sea, and even if they did find him, how could they raise the dead? But Lady Melisandre had done the impossible, she had drank poison and not been affected, seven hells, she even gave birth to a demon made of shadows.

"If you want to help him, leave him be."

"Can it be done?" Davos pressured.

"There are some with this power" Melisandre began but shook her head to deny the possibility in this case. "But it doesn't matter, I tried looking for him.. But I couldn't see him." She got up, her back facing him. "Perhaps I couldn't see to begin with. All that I believed, the great victory I saw in the flames, all of it was a lie. You were
Right all along, the lord never spoke to me." Now Ser Davos understood. Her faith had wavered.

Melisandre had believed that Stannis Baratheon was the Prince who was promised, that he would be able defeat all of his enemies and bring the dawn. But she was wrong. And she had seen a vision of Jon Snow fighting in Winterfell. She was wrong again.

Before either of them spoke again, the Chamber's door suddenly flew open, the two turned their heads to see a brother of the night's watch. He was panting heavily, and looked like he had seen a ghost. "There's something you need to see." He declared, his voice almost trembling, but not from the cold.

Following the frantic man through the dark corridors and out into the balcony overlooking the yard, Melisandre and Davos came to an abrupt stop. All forty remaining members of the night's watch stood there, along with a number of the wildlings, surrounding two figures. A man and a woman. At first glance the two could've been wrote off as a couple of wildlings who had survived what happened in Hardhome and were let into the castle to join the rest of their people, but as the former Baratheon supporters looked closer, gasps left their lips.

There stood the so called dead Bastard of Winterfell.

Jon looked around timidly to see the horrified and shocked faces of his brothers. He saw Tormund Giantsbane and Dolorous Ed amongst the crowd. He looked back to Diana who closely stood behind him, she nodded to him and he took her que to approach them. While Diana remained in place, she took in the different features and sizes of the men around them. They didn't pay her any attention; still taken aback at Jon's reappearance, as her eyes roamed around them like a child would upon first visiting a sweets shop.