NINE

GREY clouds dominated the skies that cold winter dawn.

The opposing Stark and Bolton forces sat across the battlefield from one another, along the outskirts of Winterfell. Davos was mounted on horseback among the men of the Stark army, while Jon rode through the ranks, observing the men in place. He stopped his horse as he reached Tormund and Wun Wun, the giant, at the front of the line.

Dread draped over them as their eyes roamed on the threatening X-shaped flaming pyres, all which held flayed men.

All the while, Jon partly felt at ease, because as bad things could get from here on out, he could rest assured that Diana would be alright. Sure, she left her tent severely upset with him, and she wasn't there to see him off, but at the very least she was safe. He couldn't have it on his conscience if she got hurt.

They've dug trenches all along their flanks, just so the enemy wouldn't be able to hit them in a double envelopment. They just needed the patience, all they had to do was wait.

The sound of hoofbeats thundered in Jon's ears.

The commander of the Stark forces tilted his head to the side to determine the source. It was a rider on a black stallion, heading into the field from the direction of their camp. As the person approached closer and closer, Jon nearly had a heart attack.

It was Diana.

Diana's horse galloped across the field. She could see the troops at the other end, in formation, swords and bows in hand.

Her eyes filled with eagerness and challenge, the thrill fuelling her. This was her first real battle. She was donned in her armor and weapons.

She rode past the Stark men, Jon's eyes filled in panic as she went passed them. Her horse entering unmarked territory. A part of him knew for certain that Diana hadn't stayed back as he ordered; he should've known she wouldn't.

"DIANA!" He screamed, desperately, as if that would help things, his whole body was trembling. What in the seven hells was she doing?!

She heard him calling desperately for her, but she didn't give it any attention.

Just as she made it halfway across the field, Diana's hands released the leash and she hurried to stand on the mare. Her feet were steady on the its back before she jumped off, flipping in the air as she did and landed steadily on her feet.

The theatricality of her arrival didn't go unnoticed by the men on the opposite sides.

Diana left the horse in place and began to move forwards. She had one objective; capture Ramsay. He was the one commanding the men. Fear was his weapon and weakness, his men didn't want to fight for him, they were forced to. Once they see the tide turning, they would feel no need to defend the vicious lord.

Her stance didn't show an innocent and fragile girl as one might believe at first glance.

"What the bloody hell is she doing?!" Ser Davos shouted at particularly no one, it seemed like she was heading for her own death.

Jon Snow clenched his jaw, grinding on his teeth in the process.

Diana armor shone with every time she moved with the reflection of daylight. As she neared ever closer, her breathing began to pick up. Her pulse was clear in her ears, blocking out the shouts of protests Jon and his people directed towards her.

She could feel the the men fighting for Ramsay turning to look at her, stunned, not knowing what exactly was happening. There were surprised exclamations, questions, people pointing at her.