Chapter Ten

Jay

Bey and I posed as the photographer snapped our photos for us. We were at the club overlooking the party because I always did that when there was a grand event at the club. Shaq went to bed early because he was tired from all the Christmas excitement, so Bey came with me even though I knew she was uncomfortable being around James and his family.

"Thank you,"I thanked the photographer before taking a look at everything from the balcony.

"Everything looks alright,"Bey approved.

"Of course I have y'all to thank for that,"we turned around and saw James cheesing behind us. "You've pulled out all the stops for my party."

"That's the way we do it here. We don't hold back and make sure the job is done,"I promoted the club. I loved my business more than I disliked him so I needed to act professional.

"I'll be sure to tell people...you look beautiful by the way Beyoncé, radiant as ever. Christmas was always our favourite season wasn't it?"he eyed her and I felt her shift in my arms.

"I'd appreciate it if you kept Beyoncé out of this. This is strictly business although I appreciate you acknowledging how beautiful my queen is, you have a party to get to and guests to attend to,"I breathed slowly. It was taking a lot in me but I had to be the bigger person in the situation. I had Bey and Shaq and they were all I needed to know I'd succeeded in life. James could stand there and look at what he'd missed out on and what could've been, but never was.

"I understand,"he nodded before walking away with a sly smirk on his face. I stormed into my office with Bey following behind me. She closed my door blocking out most of the noise while I sat on the couch with my head in my hands. A few minutes later Bey nudged me, and when I looked up she handed me a drink.

"Thanks,"I croaked.

"I know it's hard for you...probably even harder than it is for me,"she rubbed my back.

"Nah, he's your ex so I can't imagine how it is to have him around you,"I shook my head.

"Eva lives minutes away from you,"she reminded me. "And yes he's my ex, but I've gotten over him and I don't have any feelings for him. You have to look at that man and know that the child I'm carrying might be his child. I mean, I'm not trying to make you uncomfortable but-"

"I get it, it's the truth,"I put my drink down and rubbed my eyes.

"I know you like dealing with things your own way but I don't want you to bury your head in the sand forever, you understand?"she said and I reluctantly nodded because even though I wished I didn't, I did understand and I knew she was right. We'd been through so much lies, secrets and deceit that there was no point in starting all over again.

"What took you so long at the store? It seems like you were gone forever,"I changed the topic. Bey shifted in her seat and seemed on edge; I instantly knew something was off. She crossed her legs and rolled her eyes.

"If only I could drink right now,"she whispered before blowing her breath.

"You sounds like an alcoholic,"I burst out laughing and she laughed with me with a smile. Once the laughter died down I took her shoes off and she laid back on the couch. She then kicked her feet up and I began to massage them. I loved times like this with Bey because although we were in a raving club it still felt like it was just us two in the world. The entire club was blocked out and we were much calmer.

"Um...I saw Eva at the store,"she told me and I raised my eyebrows.

"Really? How was it for you?"

"I kinda felt...bad for her. She looked a wreck and I know it's because of what we did. It was awkward too because she was just standing behind me and we didn't have anything to say to each other. It was just silence for a long time,"she told me.

"So what did y'all do?"

"Go for a chat at the café,"she blurted out.

"Repeat that. You did what?"

"We both had a lot to say to each other and I knew it'd help clear the air. I just want everything to go back to normal with no drama and no mess we have to clean up,"she softly spoke.

"So what did y'all say then?"

"I apologised for what I did on my part and how I made her feel, and she was still bitter about it but then we started talking about her family. I was telling her that all that extra isn't needed because we've all been through enough of that but she got defensive, saying that she can't control their actions but it doesn't mater because she's 'pregnant',"Bey threw her fingers up quoting 'pregnant'. I chuckled shaking my head.

"She's still claiming that?"

"She might be right,"Bey mumbled. "Look how fast I got pregnant. It only took one weekend."

"Bey I know how intimate we were...we weren't,"I tried not to laugh and she held her lips together trying not to laugh too. "I can only remember one time we've been intimate since August and that was the weekend I got arrested. I honestly don't believe that she's pregnant."

"It only takes once...you ain't watched Paternity Court?"she pinched my cheek. "What about before I came in August?"
(A/N: anyone else watch paternity court with Judge Lauren Lake? Cases be messy afff🙋🏾‍♀️)

"Work was killing both our asses and that was why we hired you and Elijah as managers."

"You know...she might be. We can't doubt anything now so we'll just have to sit down with her and see. You might have two children on the way which means we're going to have to do more adjusting than anticipated. My idea is that Eva books an appointment with her doctor and you go with her too so you're fully aware. A pregnancy test at home is nothing because I fooled you, remember?"

"Tuh, I remember,"I lowly chuckled. "We've come a long way, right? Look at where we are,"she cupped my head and rubbed it with her thumb.

"And we've still got a long way to go, but you know I'm riding with you til the very end,"she winked at me.

I couldn't help but plant a soft kiss on her lips. We'd been through hell and we were still on our way to paradise but I was liking where we were.

"Aren't you mad though? My ex might be pregnant the same time as you,"I asked out of curiosity. Bey wasn't reacting in anger which surprised me but she was probably changing.

"You're a queen, you know that right?"I smirked at her.

"I do, but thanks for reminding me,"she leaned up to peck my lips before I chuckled.