Chapter Twelve

Jay

TyTy handed me a glass and sat beside me with his own.

"You good?"

"Absolutely not,"I smacked my lips before taking a sip of the iced water.

"So...Eva is really pregnant,"he gave a face. 😬

"I'm still trying to believe her. I just don't understand how it came up out of the blue, especially when we barely had sex,"I rolled my eyes.

"Nah, she'd been saying it for a while. You were too busy with Bey and brushed it off. Man, you didn't even bat an eye at Eva,"TyTy pointed at me.

"Two women pregnant at the same time,"I thought out loud.

"Your fiancée and your ex-fiancée. You know it only takes one time. Bey mustn't be too enthusiastic either."

"She's not. You know, she did tell me on Christmas Eve that she'd be willing to come to an agreement if Eva was pregnant, but I think she's more mad at the fact that this all came out the second we became engaged and we didn't even get the chance to tell our family. We never get a break from the drama and havoc,"I laid back. I was still in shock over what Eva revealed and it'd been days, so regardless of what Bey said on Christmas Eve I couldn't imagine what it felt like for Bey to be pregnant at the same time as her fiancé's ex.

"But you know what you've got to do, right?"he asked and I nodded.

"I'm stepping up to be a father of three in less than five months and a husband to Bey. I was...so set on having my family...my little family with me, Bey, Shaq and the baby...I don't even know if the baby is mine but..."I trailed off and blew my breath.

"You know I've got your back, we all do,"TyTy patted me on the back.

"Thanks, brother,"we hugged and I stood up.

"I've got to go. I need to make sure my fiancée is good."

"Of course. I know I'm your best man. I'll help you break it down to Sammy,"he joked and I laughed.

"I'll see you later man. Send my love to the fam,"I waved as I showed myself out.

I immediately got into my Lexus and drove home to my family. One of the worst things about this one thing was explaining to Shaq what was going on. We were meant to be heading into the new year with hope and optimism for the future of the Carters but I knew this wouldn't be easy for him, adjusting to two new siblings on the way.

Funnily enough, I'd understand if Bey didn't want to marry me anymore. This was all too much and it was bad enough that I played between her and Eva for months on end. If I was in her shoes then I wouldn't either so if she was ready to walk then I wouldn't stop her. Obviously I didn't want her to because she was the love of my life, but I had to respect her decision if that was what she wanted after being strung along for too long.

When I got home I found Bey and Shaq sitting in the living room watching Family Reunion. They laughed at a joke and I smiled at the sight of the two most important people in my life.

"Y'all catching the jokes without me?"I joined them on the couch. I noticed Bey was cold towards me and she was still annoyed at me, but I was going to talk to her anyway.

"Dad, we're just about to order some Dominos,"Shaq told me.

"Go 'head and order. Me and your ma need to talk anyway,"he nodded and got up. I handed him my phone so he could order from my account on the app. I reduced the volume on the TV and looked at Bey's baby bump. She'd just turned four months and she was only wearing a sports bra, so you could vividly see the shape and outline.

"You alright Bey?"I moved closer to her on the couch and she nodded.

"Mhm,"she sighed.

"I'm sorry about how everything's happened,"I put my arm around her.

"I know it's not your fault. I mean, she's pregnant so there's nothing we can do,"she shrugged.

"But isn't that why you're angry at me?"

"I'm angry because once again a special moment was taken away from us. We were meant to be celebrating and telling our family. We were meant to be planning our dream wedding with all our family, but I don't know, maybe this is karma getting back at us,"she brushed it off biting her nail.

"It always seems like that. All I've ever wanted is to sit down and plan our future but something always comes up. That doesn't mean that we can't though. Of course I'm not going to force you, so I don't know what you want to do."

"I'm not leaving you if that's what you're getting at,"she finally looked at me for the first time in the conversation. "I'm not going anywhere. We just need to set up a meeting with Eva, a formal meeting with none of her rabid dogs around her, and discuss boundaries, standards and visitations. If she thinks that this child will come in between us and ruin what we have, then she's wrong because it won't. Your child is my child, so my only concern is Eva and how her and her clan will respond. We've tried to be classy and cordial after the whole showdown but they continue to look for a reaction. They aren't fucking our family up,"she sternly spoke.

"I love it when you talk like a boss,"I nudged her and bit my lip. She smirked at me before playfully rolling her eyes. "But I understand every word you mean. I just want us to do this after our holiday."

"Holiday?"she frowned in confusion.

"We're going away to Trinidad and Tobago for a week,"I revealed. I'd kept it under wraps because I only made the decision yesterday.

"Since when?"

"Since I realised that my queen needs to be treated like the royalty she is,"I kissed her temple. "You deserve the world and I'm giving you the world. We'll come back to everything but after New Year's, we're going away, just me and you, on the beach,"I kissed her after every pause.

"Drinking..."she snaked her hand up my shirt and I looked at her like she was crazy for thinking about drinking. "Agua,"she winked and I laughed. "I've never left Shaq for that long before,"she sighed.

"He's 10, Bey. Sooner than later he'll be wanting to go on holiday with his friends and not with his boring old parents."

"You mean his boring old dad. I'm lit all day every day, his friends gonna want me there,"she flicked her hair.

"That sounds wrong on so many levels, Ma. My friends will NOT want you there,"Shaq came back in and we laughed.