Chapter 5

Ruby surprisingly didn't get detention for putting half of the marauders in the Hospital Wing, although she guessed it was only because Professor Slughorn didn't like them and she was good at Potions. The other Gryffindors avoided her now, and multiple Slytherins had come up to congratulate or thank her.

She'd never been thanked by anyone except Sev before, so it felt rather strange, but she decided she didn't necessarily hate it.

She had wanted to be in Slytherin with her twin, but maybe that's why she was in Gryffindor. Because she wasn't afraid to hit people who hurt her brother.

Ruby decided as soon as she walked into the classroom that she hated Transfiguration. Not only was it her worst subject, but the teacher was the Head of Gryffindor, who disliked Slytherins.

Despite her powerful magic, Ruby found it was almost impossible to turn a snuff box into anything remotely resembling a rat.

The class was with Ravenclaw, and although Potter was still in the Hospital Wing, the grey eyed boy, who Ruby found out was Sirius Black, was in class.

Charms was easier than the OWLS, but only because Ruby wasn't actually trying.

They had Astronomy with Hufflepuff, and Ruby was excited. She marvelled at the stars, trying to look everywhere at once.

"Never seen stars before?" Someone snorted. Ruby didn't look away from the sky to see who it was.

"No." She said bluntly. "They're so beautiful." She breathed.

"I'm named after a star. Sirius. It's a dog star."

"Cool." She said, still marveling at the lights. "I wish I could have seen these from Spinner's End."

"Where's that?"

"Cokeworth."

"Never heard of it."

"It's in the midlands." She said absently, going up to the railing so she could look at the stars more closely.

"I live in London."

She didn't reply, choosing instead to trace a constellation, before finding it on her paper. After finding Cygnus, she looked for Delphinus, and had a little trouble finding it. She grinned widely when she did, tracing it on her paper, before moving on to find Vulpecula and Equuleus.

Ruby decided Astronomy was one of her favorite subjects as she handed in the paper to the teacher. She looked at the stars, gasped when she saw one soaring through the sky.

"You can wish on shooting stars." Ruby gasped, turning around to see a shorter girl with blonde bobbed hair.

"What?"

"Sorry. I didn't mean to startle you. You can make a wish on shooting stars."

"I wouldn't know what to wish for?"

"What do you want most?"

"I don't know. Last year, I would have wanted to be free, but I am now."

"I always wish to fall in love with someone who will love me." the girl smiled.

Ruby watched as the star disappeared, smiling.

"Did you think of something?" Ruby nodded, not saying anything. "I'm Alice, by the way."

"Ruby."

"I know. You're kind of the talk of the school right now."

"I am?" Ruby was almost embarrassed that hadn't known.

"Well, you did beat up James Potter."

"He deserved it." Ruby growled, her smile vanishing and her fists clenching in anger.