Chapter 33

Warning! Self-hatred and attempted suicide ahead.

Ruby gasped, dropping both books. Sirius jumped from his doze at the noise. She just stared at the books that were still open, pages glaring up at her. She felt suddenly claustrophobic, like the walls were closing in, judging her. She had to get out. Now.

She got up and scrambled out of the library, stumbling in her haste to get outside. She slammed the library door behind her; Sirius couldn't follow.

Her skin glowed gold. It wasn't just her hands like it normally was. It was her entire body that glowed now. Red magic swirled around her in ways that she wished would stop.

Of course, she always thought it had been her fault, but there were others she could blame. Maybe someone at St. Mungo's had messed up; maybe it wasn't entirely her fault. Now she knew it was. She had literally sucked the magic from her mother, killing her. Of course, there was still the chance that it wasn't that potion that they had used, but Ruby was sure that if it hadn't been that potion, it had been a similar one.

She stumbled out of the house into the summer night air. She locked the door behind her with a wave of her hand. The cobblestone was cold under her bare feet as she walked aimlessly, trying to find somewhere empty. She ran, she didn't know where, but she found herself behind one of the factories. There was no one around, and the building was empty, abandoned. The doors swung open on their own and closed behind her.

She cast the spell, and dummies appeared. It was easier to just let go and let the magic wreak havoc on her surroundings. Her control teetered on the edge of a chasm. Green magic shot from her palms, killing the dummies who got up moments later. Again and again. Over and over. She killed them only for them to get up again at her command. Still, it seemed control was no closer than when she had ran from home. Control slipped away, seemingly impossible to get back.

Ruby slowly relinquished her hold on it. She was alone; no one would get hurt. At least she hoped. Wave after wave of red and gold magic shot outward, melting the rusty machinery.

Sirius transformed back immediately, and yanked open the door. He tried the front door, but it was locked tight.

"Snape!!" He called.

"What?" Sirius ran up the attic steps.

"It's Ruby! She was reading something, and she dropped the book and ran out of the house!!" He didn't bother trying to hide the panic in his voice.

"Which book?" Severus asked quickly.

"I don't know! It was the book you were reading! Stealing Magic or something?" Severus paled immediately.

"No. No. She wasn't supposed to read that!"

"What is it? What wasn't she supposed to read?!"

"The potion. It sucks magic out of other people! We have to go. I'll explain on the way!" Severus pulled him out the back window, evidently knowing Ruby would have locked the front door to keep them from following. Sirius transformed immediately and followed the scent of scorched stone. They found themselves in front of an old factory. Small flames licked at the walls. It wasn't enough for anyone to notice yet, but it would grow quickly, lighting up the night sky. "Aguamenti!" Severus extinguished the flames and Sirius transformed back.

The two entered the factory only to see Ruby floating a foot off the ground. Tears rolled down her cheeks, sparkling in the red-gold light that filled the factory. Dummies surrounded her holding many different weapons, all pointed at her. She didn't even blink as a wave of magic, deathly green this time, leveled the robotic forces only for them to rise up again. Severus managed to shout a protection spell just in time to avoid the magic. Ruby whirled to face the pair.