Chapter 22

Most people probably would have a decision to make. They could either choose to do the right thing, or they could do the wrong thing. They would have to chose one side of the war, or the other. Ruby didn't need to choose. There was no choice at all.

She wouldn't chose light, or dark, Dumbledore or the Dark Lord. She chose, and always would choose her twin. As long as Severus was safe and happy, it didn't matter who won. If she had to take down both Dumbledore and the Dark Lord and rule the Wizarding World herself to do that, she would.

Ruby knew what would happen this time. Before, she had been consumed by her rage and she didn't really know what would happen. This time, though, she knew exactly what would happen if she let go. She let go anyway.

The magic swirled around her brightly. It was predominantly a bright red, but there were small swirls of bright sickly green and sparkling gold. The students ran away, but they still stopped when they thought they were far enough to see what would happen. Potter seemed rooted to the spot in fear, but they could see it was actually magic keeping him from running as he struggled and was lifted a few feet of the ground.

Severus was a few yards away, a blue shield around him. Ruby would always keep him safe.

Ruby's hands were alight with the bright magic. She reveled in the power it gave her. Her hair floated as if it was in water, her black eyes glowed with magic, a smirk was on her lips.

They say absolute power corrupt absolutely. Ruby was fairly sure that was true here too.

Her smirk widened evilly as she let go of the marauder, letting him fall to the ground. Before he could try to scramble away red magic shot from her left palm, and he was on the ground writhing in pain, screaming.

"Ruby, no!" She looked away from the tortured boy and looked at the person who had spoken. It wasn't her twin. She could hear him pounding on the shield, begging her not to give in to the power of the magic.

She looked at the black haired boy she had grown so close to in the past few weeks. Sirius tore his gaze away from his ex-best friend who was screaming on the grass. How many times had that been him? Too many times to count. He wouldn't watch it happen to anyone else.

"Ruby, stop! You're hurting him!"

"That's the point!" She laughed. Her voice was different, altered by the magic.

"You can't do that!"

"He deserves it." She spat hatefully. "He's hurt everyone I care about. He hurt you! Don't you want to see him pay?"

"No! He doesn't deserve that!"

"Doesn't he?"

"She's not in control! It's the magic!" Sirius looked over at Ruby's twin and nodded to show that he understood.

"Come on, Ruby. Just let him go."

"He hurt Severus and he hurt you. He's not getting away." She growled.

"You think he'll be safe it you hurt Potter?! You'll be in Azkaban or dead, and who'll protect him then?"

"Wren will." The girl said confidently.

"Wren? She left at the end of fourth year. She's not even here. If you're gone, you'll leave your brother alone! He won't be safe, and he won't be happy!" She froze, and turned to her twin.

"Please, Ruby." He pleaded, trying to break through the shield. It fell and he ran to her, holding her tightly. "Don't, Ruby, don't. They take you away."