Chapter 24

Sirius nervously pushed a lock of hair out of his face.

"Hey, James." he said quietly. "I'm really sorry about what happened. I swear it was an accident. I didn't mean to-"

"You still did it." Potter growled, stabbing a sausage violently.

"I know, and I'm really sorry. I didn't mean for it to happen. It just slipped out-"

"Face it, Black," Potter snapped and Sirius flinched, "you still did it. You still betrayed us. I'm not going to forgive that easily."

From across the hall, Amaris was whispering what they said to Ruby, who clenched her fists angrily. Ruby could hold a grudge, but she usually didn't. Once the person apologized sincerely, they were usually forgiven. Granted, most people didn't apologize, but if they did, she forgave them.

Sirius had apologized over and over, but Potter still wouldn't forgive him. It made Ruby angry. He hadn't even been injured, and neither had anyone else he cared about.

Whatever Potter was going to say next was cut off when he was doused in pumpkin juice.

"That is still funny." Narcissa giggled quietly. "You do that every meal, but it's still funny."

Sirius turned away sadly, glancing at Ruby who gave him a reassuring smile.

"It's not your fault." Was the first thing Ruby said when she sat down next to Sirius in Potions. "I don't blame you, so no one else should."

"but I didn't betray you." He grumbled.

"You didn't betray them. And besides, it's not like Lupin was kicked out of Hogwarts. No one else knows."

"Except Carrow." He grumbled.

"She knows everything." Ruby said matter-of-factly. Jana was a trustworthy person, although it was obvious she had as many secrets as other students. Most people feared her, but although Jana knew Ruby's secrets, Ruby had a lot to be grateful for. Jana had kept the entire student body from leaking about Potter's near death experience, including Potter himself. Ruby had never realized how much influence the Slytherin girl held among the students. "Besides, Lupin already forgave you." She ruffled his hair, smirking at his annoyed expression, which disappeared when she petted it back into place. She smiled.

It was rather cute how much he behaved like his animagus. She blinked at the thought. Cute? She mentally shrugged. It was cute.

Severus glared at Sirius from across the room, and Sirius turned to see who was glaring at him. He shrunk slightly under the cold gaze. He guessed he wasn't the only one who would hate him for nearly killing Ruby.

"He nearly killed you!" Severus hissed. "Why are you hanging out with him? And don't you dare lie."

Ruby sighed. He always seemed to know when she was lying. "We both know it wasn't his fault." She started. "And he's all alone now."

"So you took pity on him?"

"No, Sev, you know that. I don't do pity."

"So then why are you hanging out with him?"

"We're friends." She shrugged.

"Friends?! He's a marauder!"

"Not anymore." She said quietly, watching the Gryffindor tell his werewolf friend to go sit with the others and leave him alone. "There are no more marauders."