Chapter 30

Sirius almost just kept walking, pretending he hadn't heard, but James grabbed his arm, pulling him back into the room and shutting the door. Sirius sat down on his bed, keeping his gaze resolutely away from James's searching stare. His hair fell in his face, but he made no move to push it away. Remus sat down next to him.

"We know there's something you're not telling us." Remus said, his voice calm and kind. The kindness didn't help Sirius's rising fear, however. "Something happened, and you don't want us to know."

"I-I told you already." Sirius tried to force his voice to sound convincing, but he was pretty sure he failed. "I was at a Muggle concert and Death Eaters attacked. Ruby found me and healed me. That's it."

"Pads, please." Prongs scoffed. "That's not it. It's obvious. Just tell us what happened. Is someone threatening you?" He shook his head, but they didn't seem to believe him. "Who's threatening you? Is it the Snape girl? Is it Carrow? Just tell us who it is. Come on, Padfoot." Sirius could hear the concern in his voice, but it didn't help him any.

Imagine how concerned he'll sound when he finds out.

"No one's threatening me." He said firmly. "And I'm fine. Ruby healed me. It's no big deal. You don't need to worry about me." He said, standing up. He moved towards the door, but froze at Prongs's next words.

"Did you do it?"

"What?"

"Did you hurt yourself?"

"No. Of course not. Where would you get that idea?"

"I don't know. All I know is that in Astronomy, Snape was telling you she wouldn't let you jump." Sirius flinched, and shook his head. How many others had seen that?

"What?" Remus gaped at him. "You tried to kill yourself?"

"No! No, I didn't. No, I won't, and no, I didn't do that to myself. Just drop it." He mumbled the last sentence.

"Prove it."

"Prove that I didn't try to kill myself?"

"No. Take off your shirt. I want to make sure you didn't hurt yourself." Sirius just scowled at him. "I mean it. I want to see it. Just to make sure." Prongs insisted.

"Padfoot, please." Remus sounded so scared. Sirius reluctantly removed his tie, and unbuttoned his shirt. He pulled off the shirt, and set it on his bed.

"They're gone." James said, shocked. "I know there were scars on your back." Sirius reached for his wand, and silently cast the spell to remove the illusion.

"See? No new ones. Happy?" He didn't wait for a response before recasting the spell and putting his shirt and tie back on. He moved to leave the dorm, but James grabbed his arm.

"You know a spell to hide your scars. How long have you had them? And don't you dare lie to me."

"Since spring break." It was partially true, at least. That was the last time his parents had hurt him. He wrenched his arm from James's firm grip and left the dorm. His breathing quickened as he almost ran to the Great Hall.

No. He couldn't go there. They'd find him. He looked around the empty hall before opening a broom closet and closing the door behind him, surrounding himself in darkness. He sat down on the floor, his back to the uncomfortable shelves, his arms around his knees. It didn't take long for the door to open again. He looked up, smiling slightly when he realized it was Ruby.