Chapter 6

It was late when Ruby finally reached the Gryffindor tower. She whispered the password, and climbed through the portrait hole. The common room was completely empty, except four boys who sat near the fire.

"She knocked me unconscious!"

"I know. You've already said that five times, Prongs." the dirty blonde haired boy said, turning to the next page in his book.

"I know, but how did she do that? No one can beat me up."

"Clearly." The grey-eyed boy said, sitting upside down on the couch throwing a small ball into the air. "That's why you were unconscious in the Hospital Wing."

"I believe she was angry that you were bullying her brother." The tallest one said, closing his book.

"How was I supposed to know he had an overprotective sister?" Potter defended.

"I'm not overprotective, I'm doing what I should be doing. And if anyone of you ever bother him in the slightest, I'll do a lot more than put you in the Hospital Wing." She growled, moving to go up the stairs. "And just so you know, I'd kill for him."

She didn't hear what they said, since she had moved out of hearing range. Everyone was already asleep when she opened the door to her dorm. She glanced at the alarm clock that sat by Lily's bed, realizing that it was already into the early hours of the morning.

She didn't realize how tired she was until she had already changed into her muggle clothes and climbed into bed. She fell asleep quickly despite the different environment. She felt surprisingly well rested in the morning, although she had woken up a few times.

She ate at the Slytherin table since she didn't have any friends in Gryffindor, and went to her first class, Defense against the Dark Arts.

The professor was new, Narcissa told her, and was clearly nervous.

"I'm warning you." She growled as she walked by the Marauders. The professor paired them up and told them to practice their protective shields by firing jinxs at each other, Ruby was with Black, which was fine, but Severus was with Potter, who seemed a little too happy about it. They were going in front of the class, one pair at a time, starting with Sev and Potter.

"Impedimenta!" Potter shouted.

"Protego!" The jinx bounced of the shield. "Flipendo."

"Protego." Potter waved his wand lazily, making Ruby clench her fists. "Levicorpus."

Severus couldn't perform the counter-jinx in time. It was obvious.

However, much to everyone's surprise, the jinx that should have had her twin hanging up the air by his ankles bounced off a glowing shield. Although everyone else stared in shock, Severus wasn't even slightly phased, quickly firing back at his opponent.

Potter's wand flew into Sev's waiting hand. Many of the students looked at him surprised. Potter was one of the best at DADA, second only to Sirius Black.

The teacher sent the two back to their seats, and called up Ruby and Sirius Black. The students seemed excited, wanting to see how powerful the new girl was with magic.

"Expelliarmus!" Black shouted.

"Protego." Ruby waved her wand into the correct formation, letting his spell bounce off her shield.

"Melofors." He shouted again, but again, she countered, blocking the spell.

"Oppugno." Pillows and other objects from around the classroom flew towards her, and Ruby ducked just in time. "Expelliarmus!" Her wand flew into his hand, and the teacher moved up to stop the two, but Black had already shouted another spell. "Levicorpus."