#Chap2 #chroniclesoflife #Sagas_by_Irvika #sweetlovestory

Then one fine day, Mr Verma was busy in his office while Shruti dropped in as she was passing through the area.

His mob buzzed. The number he saw on his mob was not familiar. He picked up the call. "Hello?"
At the other end, "Hello, am I talking to Mr Anil Verma?" He replied, "Yes, who’s this?"

To be continued..

"Namaste, Mr Verma. I am Mr Dilip Shah, from Mumbai. Got your reference from the same matrimonial where you have given your daughter’s  details."

Shruti could see from the expressions on her dad’s face that it was not a business call. He replied politely, "Namaste Dilipbhai. Yes, I have given my daughter Shruti’s bio data at the matrimonial. May I have your details please, as I haven’t received any information regarding you in the list of names provided."

Mr Dilip replied, "Sure Anilbhai. My son’s name is Atharva and is 26 years old. I have 3 sons and the eldest one is married. Atharva is my second one. He has done B.Com and then joined me in the business. We are into textiles and have a factory."

Anilji smiled and said in a delighted tone, "Oh that’s nice! We are also dealing in textiles."

Shruti understood the purpose of the call as her dad started giving her details and asked for the same. Gosh! She didn’t know where to look. Just out of the blue, things happen in life which you didn’t even dream of. The 2 dads exchanged basic info about the kids. Her dad’s face reflected happiness. Finally, there seemed to be a possibility of a suitable match for his beloved daughter.

The guy’s name was Atharva Shah, she came to know. Her dad immediately called up home and told his wife about the call. Then, he contacted his acquaintances in Mumbai to inquire about the family and the guy in particular. Both the families were into textiles, so getting detailed info was quite easy for Mr Verma. According to trusted sources, he was told that the family was very affluent and especially the boy was very decent and doing good in business. Mr. Verma was quite elated.

On the other hand, at Shah’s residence the family members were yet to accept the fact that their father had shown interest in someone who doesn't stay in Mumbai. So far, it was an unspoken thumb rule that as long as u get good matches in Mumbai itself, approaching someone out of town was out of question.

But as they say, it is all pre-decided by the Almighty; we just have to follow His commands. As destiny would have it, both the families agreed to meet on the 9th of April at Shah residence. Shruti was a bundle of nerves to say the least; a lil excited, a lil nervous. All the more as this was going to be the first time ever that she was going to be meeting a guy.

Over the years she had dreamt of falling in love for a tall, handsome guy who would sweep her off her feet. But nothing of the sort happened. So eventually she had this gut feeling that whoever would be the first guy that she meets up, would be her Prince Charming. Her mother tried to keep her grounded, to dissuade her, saying not to be disheartened if it doesn’t click. But somehow she couldn't shake off her belief. She still dreamed that God must definitely have something in store for her, if not a love marriage, as she had always wished, then definitely the next best thing.

***9th April, 2006.***

Verma family left early in the morning on 9th so that they could reach their relatives house by lunch time and have enough time so that they are able to reach at the Shah residence at the decided meeting time. Shahs believed in shubh mahurat for everything and accordingly requested the Verma family to come at sharp 5 in the eve.

It was a half an hour driver from their relative’s place. And with the amount of time Shruti takes to dress up, her mom started nudging her at 3.30 p.m. to start getting ready as they planned to leave on time so as not to be late.

She had decided on a beautiful green cotton silk outfit with a lovely pink dupatta, embellished with pink floral embroidery on the collar, cuffs of sleeves and chudidar.  She applied basic make up very carefully. Nothing jazzy; light pink eye shadow, light fuchsia pink glossy lipstick that was her fav, black Eye liner. She abhorred putting blush on her cheeks so that was it. She wore very delicate diamond earrings, a simple diamond bracelet for her jewelry, and a gold watch in her left hand. She had kept her hair open, just putting 2 clips on top of her head. She completed her ensemble with chic gold sandals.

She had mixed emotions, not knowing what to expect, but had a her sixth sense that she would get the perfect life partner in the first time itself. Her mom and dad came in to check on her.

Mom urged her, "Hurry up Shruti. We dont want to get late."
Shruti responded, "Yup mumma, coming in 2 mins. Am almost done."
Mom being mom, put a black teeka behind her ear.
Rohan teased her. "Shruti please keep a control on your tongue there. Don't keep on chatting like you do at home."
Shruti made a face. "Oh pleassse Rohan! Don't expect me to behave like a 1950s gal who doesn't know where to look."
Rohan, with tongue in his cheek said, "Oh god! Mumma, I already feel pity for the guy. He does not know what's gonna hit him!!"
She replied in an irritated voice, "Rohan wil you please keep your stupid opinions to yourself? I can't listen to your nonsense any more."
Rohan quipped, "I know I know, you never had the guts to face the truth."
Shruti's dad intervened, "Okay now, enough both of you. Let's go. Mr Shah just called up to inquire whether we have left or no."
Shruti's aunt and uncle also joined them for the visit. They started sharp at 4.20  p.m. and were on their way.

Just before 5 p.m. they reached the address that had been mentioned. They were checking out where is the H wing , when Rohan teasingly pointed out towards a half wrecked car and teased Shruti, "I guess this must be their prized possession Shruti. What fun you'll have!"
She glared at him and gestured him to just shut up. They confirmed with the watchman about the address anf he guided them to go on the 5th floor. All got into the lift. Shruti asked the liftman to please switch off the fan as her hair wil get spoilt because of the direct blast of air.
Her dad gave her a look and said, "Grow up Shruti."

To which she replied, "What dad! You know it irritates me if my hair does not look proper, just like you."
Everyone laughed at the light banter between father and daughter, knowing they always shared a very jovial relationship with each other. The lift finally stopped at the 5th floor. And all of a sudden, Shruti was a bundle of nerves again. Her dad rang the doorbell.....

To be continued....