Chapter 5

Y/N POV

"Y/N, SOMEONE'S AT THE DOOR FOR YOU!" Catherine yelled.

"COMING!" I race downstairs, holding up my too-long skirt. I turn around the corner, and see Catherine, our family servant at the door. I look outside to see John standing on the veranda. I smile.

"Thanks, Cathie!" She looks from John to me. She flashes me a suggestive/ Lenny face (Wait, what's a Lenny?) before hurrying back upstairs. Honestly, Catherine was more of a friend than a servant. I show John into the hall.

"Back so early?" He smiles. God, I love that smile. Wait, did I just think that?

"Well, me and a couple of friends are going to a bar, we were wondering if you wanted to come?" I don't know if Pa will let me... I bite my lip, deciding whether or not to go.

"Sure. Is it okay if I ask my dad first?" He nods, so I rush upstairs to my father's room. I knock, hoping he wasn't out for the day.

"Come in." I open the door into the huge, expensive-looking room, and find my father at his desk.

"Pa, a friend of mine invited me to a bar. May I go?" I hold my breath, hoping he would say yes.

"Y/N, this will be the first time in a bar. Don't talk to strangers, don't come home too late. I trust you to make good choices. Have fun." I try to hide my delighted squeal as I race downstairs. I run past Peggy's room, and she opens the door just as I pass it.

"Where are you off to in such a rush?" I pause.

"Just to the bar with some friends."

She squealed. "Can I come, too?" I shrug. "Sure, let's go." We get to the door, and John is waiting by the door.

"It's just a short walk from here, so we're walking. My friends are outside, but I'm warning you, they're weird sometimes." We walk out the door, and I see two people standing outside. One of them had frizzy hair tied up in a ponytail, and, if I had to admit, kinda cute. But definitely not cuter than John.

"Bonjour, je'mapelle Lafayette." The guy with the frizzy hair said, extending a hand. The other guy was tall, brawny, and had a bandanna around his forehead.

"I'm Hercules Mulligan."