Chapter 7

Y/N POV

I swirl the dark brown liquid in my glass. I was still a little hesitant about drinking. Then, as if he can sense my unease, John raises his glass.

"Raise a glass to freedom, something they can never take away. No matter what they tell you." I raise my glass, and take a swig. The burning liquid has a weird sensation to it, and I love it. I smile. I look over at Lafayette and Herc, and somehow, they were already drunk. So much for Laf staying sober. I turn to Alexander.

"Can you be the sober one?" He nods, smiling at Peggy, Laf, and Herc.

"Raise a glass to the six of us, tomorrow there'll be more of us, telling the story of tonight." Now we were all following along, practically singing it.

"Raise a glass to freedom, something they can never take away." John repeated, raising his glass.

"No matter what they tell you." Alex finished, taking a swig.

"Let's have another round tonight." Laf and Herc say. I smile, and have another round. Pretty soon, I was flat-out drunk, swaying slightly, singing some old lullaby my mother used to sing to me.

"TWINKLE, TWINKLE, LITTLE STAR!" I yelled, grabbing Herc's arm and hanging on to it. He soon joins me, and then the entire Hamilsquad is singing. Even Alexander, but he wasn't drunk. Probably. He didn't have that glassy-eyed look to him yet. Peggy had somehow climbed onto the table and was screaming why she thought that reading was torture. After a couple more rounds, Alex drags us into a carriage and attempts to shut us up. My house was first, so they dropped Peggs and I off. John insists to walk me back up, and even though John's drunk, Alex lets him. So we stagger up to the front steps. I open the door,and Peggs stumbles into the hall and up to her room. I smile at John. Spurred by the beer, I suddenly have a great idea. I lean in towards John and kiss him full-on the lips. He sinks into it. It only lasts a few seconds, but in this moment, they are the best few seconds of my life. I wave, and shut the door in his face. I wince at the loud noise, suddenly dizzy. Somehow I make it up the stairs and into my room, collapsing on my bed and immediately passing out.