Chapter 10

Lafayette's POV

Y/N is cute. Especially when she gets mad at something. At the moment, that something was women's rights. I kinda zoned out on what she was saying, staring at her e/c eyes.

"Laf? You okay?" I jump slightly, and I can feel the heat rushing to my face.

"Yeah, sorry. Just thinking." I hope my lie passed alright. The truth is, I wasn't thinking at all, just staring.

Y/N POV

I shift under Laf's gaze.

"Laf? You okay?" He startles, blushing. I pretend not to notice.

"Yeah, sorry. Just thinking." I look around the bookshop we chose for our meeting. It was small, but cozy, with mint green wallpaper and the comforting smell of old books reminded me of summer afternoons, before the war, before Father had to go work under General Washington. We would sit under the fig tree overlooking the berry fields. We would sit there, enjoying each other's company, reading until it got too dark to make out the words on the page anymore.

And then the war came. And then Father no longer had time to read with me. When I stopped wasting my time on daydreams and imagination. But in rare moments like this, I let myself slide back into them, if only for a moment, to experience the carefree nature of a girl, not the quiet reserve women were supposed to hide behind. But that's not who I am. Not like anyone would care what I think. If only I could help. Suddenly, I am struck by an idea.

"Laf, this is going to sound stupid. What if I join the war?"

His eyes widen.

"You want to join the war?" I nod.

"I won't be a soldier, just a nurse. That way I won't get hurt, but I can still help." The whole 'I won't get hurt' was just for show. So that Laf doesn't worry about me.

"Have you told anyone else?" I shake my head.

"I just came up with the idea now." He bights his lip, as if deciding. Suddenly, he breaks out into a smile.

"I think it's a great idea!" I blink. I wasn't expecting that reaction.

"You really think so?" He nods again, smiling at me in a way he's never smiled before.

Laf's POV

What is she thinking? Joining the war? Dying for her country? But that's a man's job! I immediately feel guilty about the biased thoughts running through my mind. I notice I'm staring and look away quickly, trying to hide my blush.

"Why don't we go back outside, my mother's probably worried about me by now." She says, changing the subject. I nod, standing up, and offering her my hand. She takes it, smiling, and we walk out of the bookstore together. As we walk out, we bump into somebody. Somebody with curly hair and freckles.