Chap 5: let me in

Jimin kept twiddling his fingers, tapping them on the hard wood table. The flowers were left carelessly on the floor beside him while the alpha sat in front of him smiling awkwardly. Yoongi had brought him to a overly extravagant restaurant that made him feel small and unworthy of being there. All the waiters were either betas or snobby omegas who thought they were better for working somewhere so posh.

He didn't want to be here, and he certainly wasn't going to pretend he wanted to be here either. They'd barely spoken since his father left them alone, Jimin not even trying to put in effort to get to know this so called nice doctor.

"So Jimin, tell me about yourself. Your father speaks very highly of you, he really adores you." Yoongi tried starting up a conversation, wanting to relieve the tension building between them.

Jimin grunts in response, not surprised his father talked about him, his kids were his life and he loved telling everyone about them.

"Yeah I'm sure he does, he's a great father. He's been through a lot." Jimin glances down, he was very protective of his father maybe even more so than his alpha brother.

Yoongi nods at that, he didn't know much about their past but enough to know what he said was true.

"Why don't you tell me about yourself doctor Yoongi, seeing as you know so much about me." Jimin turns the tables, he didn't really want to talk about himself.

"What do you want to know? I'm an open book, you can ask me anything." Yoongi keeps the kind smile on his lips, sending off delicate lemon zest pheromones.

"Okay, tell me why you chose to be a doctor? Out of everything you an alpha could be why doctor?" He begins playing with his cutlery, killing time until their food came.

"I've always wanted to be a doctor, always enjoyed helping people even as a kid. I wasn't big into fighting or doing typical alpha things. In fact my parents were surprised when they found out I was an alpha, no one expected that. I'm sure you've noticed I don't act like a alpha, I hate being dominating and aggressive I prefer using words. So whenever kids in school got into fights I'd try to stop them and help the injuries kids. I guess that morphed into adulthood and I realised I loved looking after people so thought being a doctor would be perfect for me." Jimin found himself suddenly more intrigued by him, he liked that Yoongi didn't fit the alpha code.

"That's nice you found something you love, wish I knew what I wanted to be. Since finishing school I still haven't quite figured it out yet. My brother's a domestic violence detective, he became one to stop omegas like my dad from being abused. He really loves it, he feels like he's doing something worth while you know? That's what I want, to feel like I'm actually doing something that's helping people but it's hard when you're an omega." Jimin huffs, resting his chin on his palm.

Yoongi felt bad for him, he was aware how hard it was to find work as an omega. They weren't expected to actually work, they were supposed to stay home and look after the kids like a good little omega housewife.

"There has to be something you love doing, that makes you happy." Yoongi goes to reach out for his hand, gently touching it and to Jimin's surprise he didn't retract himself away.

Jimin thinks for a moment, he'd always wanted to work with kids. Maybe in the social worker sense, deal with kids going through a tough time.

"I love kids, I get along with them really easily and Tae always told me I'd make a good social worker who helps kids who have had to leave their homes because of domestic violence. I can comfort people quite well, I enjoy doing it." Jimin remembers  when he was younger always being the one to listen to his friends issues and help them out through tough times.