Chapter 13 | John

Trigonometry. The worst lecture to have for last period, it takes forever. Sitting in the back of the classroom, I appreciated the view from the window. Today really is a beautiful day. It's a shame it's wasted on school. I exhaled. Leaning on my desk, I read a paragraph from my textbook, Tangent, Sine, Cosine.... hypotenuse? I slapped my cheeks, Focus! WTF is this?!

"sshh!", hushed the girl sitting next to me. It seemed my sudden activity had caught Remi's attention. The pinkette glared at me, making me flinch in surprise. What did I even do? I scowled back at the ballsy girl. After she looked away, I readjusted my focus back to the book of knowledge resting on my desk. I read a few more paragraphs, I decided to summarise what I had learned; 'All this is absolutely useless. Note: Erase all knowledge after next exam.' Satisfied with my fantastic and completely original sense of humour, I smiled to myself. There is a reason they call me Joker. I stifled a chuckle, I should become a stand-up comedian.

Little did I know, that bright idea would open a securely barricaded, subconscious door; The Future.  I instantly fell into a pit of doubt, it hit me that I was 18, I had one year of High School left, I had to go to college...What college should I go to?! What are my interests?! I was an academic failure, I had no plans and the fact I had been previously expelled really didn't help chances of acceptance into a good University nor getting a good job.

Leaning back into my chair with my arms limply by my sides, I stared blankly across the classroom, completely swamped in incoherent, panicked, internal screeches of despair. What am I supposed to do with my life?

"Mr John,", the trig teacher boomed," daydreaming again, are we?"

More like day-mare. I snapped out of my trance, "Huh?!", I looked at the teacher, lost.

"Could you summarise what we've just talked about.", the teacher asked with a satisfied smirk on his face.

"eh... how to calculate the hypotenuse...?", I replied with a grimace.

"And how do you do that."

"Well...that really just depends on what information is given to you.", I said," You know, with the angles and lengths and....you know?" I scratched the back of my neck nervously.

The teacher looked very surprised, "That's correct.", he swiftly moved on to the next topic. phew. That was close.

-----------------

After the agonizing remainder of the lesson, I evacuated the classroom as quickly as possible. I really needed a breather. I walked down the hallway, calming myself from my recent breakdown.

"Omg, does he even do anything?"

"He gets such bad grades."

"I've heard he screwes around with both Cecile and Seraphina."

"Gurl, you crazy?! He and Seraphina had a huge argument during lunch!"

"Woah, really? What happened? He probably destroyed her."

"Gawd no, he barely even yelled at her! She was so disrespectful, too."

"Geez,  that cripple needs to be taught a lesson."

"Yeah! But John is just bark no bite though, its really disappointing."

"I know right? After the whole Joker thing, I was expecting some sort of tyrant."

"But it's just another passive King, a waste of effort."

"Shhhh!! He might hear!!"

"omg.omg.omg"