Chapter 2

Nico

I stretch a bit as the office chair leans back towards the open window that looks over central park. I spin the chair around looking out at the view taking in the bright white of snow as my eyes adjust to the brightness of it.

"Sir, Monica is here to see you" my assistants voice – Liz – chirps through the intercom, that has a wire from the door through a small hall, running along the wall, down to my desk, as a little box with buttons and a speaker. My attention looks back at the snow then back at the red button that stayed on until I pressed the talk button.

"You can let her in, please and thank you" I say as my voice becomes a little raspy grabbing the mug that sat on the corner of the desk taking a small sip waiting for the door to open, letting myself lean back into the chair as my back sinks into the cushion.

After a few minutes or so, Monica walks in the door with that beautiful, big smile of hers carrying a bag from our favorite restaurant that she introduced me to. She slowly makes her way over to the desk pulling her hood down, as her cheeks burn a rosy pink.

"Its really cold out today" she says sitting across from me in one of the chairs that is never used, besides her coming for our weakly lunch date.

I smile softly at her turning around turning on the small circulating heater pointing it so its more directed at her, but not to much. "What do we have for lunch today?" I ask grabbing two water bottles from the mini fridge that sits beside the desk against the wall hiding the legs of the coat hanger.

She proceeds to take her mittens off, stuffing them into her coat pocket. She starts to unzip it. as I push myself up with my heels off the chair, walking around the desk, reaching out my hand to take it for her smiling softly. Her baby bump sticks out more as the heavy, puffy, coat was gone.

"Is he kicking around as much from this morning?" I ask as I lean down kissing her forehead softly then leaning down father kissing her bump placing my hand on the top, moving my head looking at her, meeting her eyes.

She smiles planting a peck on my lips placing her hand on mine "Not as bad, but he is for sure active, as if Im like a soccer ball" she lets out a soft giggle as I smile a lot pecking her lips softly.

Pulling away, I walk back around the desk pulling the chair forward sitting back into the soft cushion as she opens the bag sliding over a takeout dish and a clear package, which holds the utensils. I open the box seeing the chicken ranch wrap I always get with a side of sweet potato fries. "You know me to well" a soft chuckle flows through my mouth leaving a funny vibration feeling through my throat.

She smiles opening her own takeout dish holding her attention to me."I didnt get you onion rings this time, because I thought you would like to have something different for a change, or if you were getting tired of them" She says nervously poking her food with the plastic fork. "I also remember you saying you wanted to try the sweet potato fries" they had she pulls her eyes away from me looking down at her food taking a bite of the Chicken Cesar salad she always gets whenever we go to that restaurant.

Before I take a bite, I look at her sliding over a water bottle over carefully smiling. "Its perfect babe" I say picking up a fry eating it letting out a soft groan. Okay, I want these over the onion rings I chuckle softly spinning side to side in the chair devouring the fries.

Her face brightens with relief. "I will keep that in mind" she says as a small, but cute, giggle escapes her mouth.

My smile grows bigger as I look down at my phone seeing a text message from mom. I hesitate letting my finger hover over it. I shake my head swiping my finger across the screen erasing it from the notification bar turning back to my food.

"Quinn has been texting" me Monica says as my head shoots up looking at her with a confused expression.

"She has? Is she okay? I have been really busy with meetings and when I get the chance to call back something comes up" I sigh as the guilt fills my stomach.

"She said things are a bit iffy at home right now. Your dad seems to be distant she says looking at me with a frown. And Quinn... she said she feels alone with your mom working all the time taking every shift that's available".

A frown replaces the smile that sat upon my face for the whole twenty minutes that has passed looking down at my food putting the fork down slowly. "Anything else about herself?" my voice cracks a bit lifting my head back up to look at her seeing her frown.

She sits back in the chair. "She misses you a lot Nico" she says looking down at the floor "Maybe we should go visit" she says looking at me with soft eyes.

A huff escapes as my chest puffs out a bit thinking about what she just said. My body sinks back into the chair as my brain debates and hesitates. "Okay, we can take the rest of the week off or this week and next week to stay for a bit" I say with a weak smile. "How does that sound?" I ask her pulling up air tickets looking at prices.

"Sounds lovely to me" she says with a soft smile tossing her garbage into the small can beside the desk leaning back into the chair pushing her hair back, then places her hands on her bump, clasping together holding it.

"Okay" I say pressing a couple things and put in the credit card number. Watching as it accepts it, I sit back against the seat thinking about what may happen on this visit and if Quinn is really okay.

====================================================================================================================================

Word count: 1059