Chapter 14

Alex's POV

Soft giggles and not so quiet whispering by several voices woke me the next morning. I wasn't ready to get out of bed yet, I tightened my arms around Ana and she cuddled closer to me and I sighed in contentment, I could get used to this. I'd started to doze off again but the whispers and giggles started up again and this time I heard the sound of pictures being taken, that was the last straw.

I cracked my eyes open and groaned out loud at the sight in front of me. Standing at the foot of my bed were my mother and my younger sisters, phones out snapping pictures of me and Ana like a couple of creeps.

"What are you guys doing here?" I made sure to whisper so that I wouldn't wake Ana.

"It's Wednesday honey, we're supposed to meet for lunch remember? You've been missing them for the last month so I'm here to drag you but that's beside the point, who is this in bed with you? She's beautiful."

"Yeah Alex, she's pretty how did you get her to actually like you?"

I rolled my eyes at my sister and answered my mom.

"Her name is Anastasia."

I could tell my mom would want to talk more but Ana needed her rest so I knew we would have to talk elsewhere. I sat up slowly carefully sliding Ana off of me and gently settling her on the bed. She let out a whine when I let go of her and her hand reached out to me.

"Alex." She mumbled.

I could tell she was still asleep even though her eyes were barely opened. I leaned down and moved her hair from her face.

"It's okay Ana, I'm here, you're okay."

I whispered soothing words into her until she fell fully back to sleep. I carefully slid out of bed and made my way to lead my mom and sisters out of the room but my mom's startled gasp stopped me in my tracks. I turned toward her and followed her eyes to my bed and I understood immediately. The blankets had fallen down past her hips and her shirt had risen and now her swollen belly was on full display, scars and all. I quickly walked over and pulled the shirt down and the blankets up over her shoulders. I turned to my mom and to say she looked pissed was an understatement. I quickly ushered them out because I had a feeling that there would be yelling. I was right on the money with that one because as soon as we made it to the living room all hell broke loose.

"Alexander Blair Rush what in the hell is going on?! You got a girl pregnant and you didn't think to tell me!"

"Mom it's not like that."

"Well you better get to explaining right now!"

I sighed in frustration.

"Boy you better answer me right now. If you didn't get her pregnant then who did?"

I sighed.

"Her husband."

If my mother were a cartoon character, her eyes would've popped out of her head and steam would be coming out of her ears right now.

"Her what! You mean to tell me that you're sleeping with a married woman? I didn't raise you that way, what has come over you. I know I asked you to settle down but I meant with someone who wasn't married and pregnant with her husband's baby while you're just some man on the side."

"Mom."

"I didn't raise my kids to be mistresses or in your case a mister-"

"Mother."

"You know what, I'm calling your father h-"

"Mom stop it!"

She stopped at my outburst. I had never dared to raise my voice at my mother but she was getting the wrong idea and I knew she was forming wrong conclusions about Ana and I didn't want that.