Suk Kind of Sucks

fricking 41.6k already we've gotten like 4000 reads since the last chapter u guys are amazing enjoy this chapter!

in other words, we're sorry it took so long to update but bear with us please!

remember, you guys are the reason we wrote this, so stay healthy and safe!

~anna

ps. i seem to have written myself into a circle that is the plot. spoiler alert: there is no plot. i sit down and write a chapter with no plans whatsoever. it's great and it gets us nowhere.

we seem to have gone from past to present tense. oh well

whenever, wherever, whatever

Keefe:

"Sophie!" I scream, rushing towards her. She hits the ground, clutching her head and screaming.

Keefe! blasts through my head like a siren. She's transmitting as loud as possible. Probably everyone within a mile can hear her. I reach forward, grabbing her shoulders and pulling her up towards me protectively. "Foster!"

She's still screaming, her eyes wide open but unseeing. It's unsettling, the normally vibrant brown looking dull and glassy. "Foster!" This is bad. Someone's going to come soon, and then they're going to think I did it, and also if she doesn't stop screaming I think my head is going to explode.

Her eyes shut tightly, and her screaming intensifies (she's going to scream herself sore). I open my mouth to shout her name again, but all of a sudden, I can't breathe. I can't think. I can't do anything - I think she's Inflicting. The world is red, I can't feel anything but unimaginable pain. For one fleeting second, I welcome death. 

Then there's a momentary gap in her Inflicting, and I shake her shoulders, hard. Her head lolls back, I don't think she's conscious. With shaking hands, I rip off her gloves and grab her hand. I close my eyes as warmth overtakes me, her Enhancing rushing through my body, my every vein. I could do anything like this, I think. I send a curling green breeze through her mind, trying to calm her down.

I open my eyes. The screaming has stopped, the world blessedly silent. "Sophie?" I ask tentatively, gripping her hand tighter.

"Keefe?" she asks, her voice hoarse. "Oh my God, Keefe!"

I realize I'm still clutching her tight against my body. I let go, but only slightly, because I think she'll keel over if I let her go completely. "Hey, Foster. You had quite the meltdown there."

"I hurt you," she whispers, reaching out and touching my chest as if she's afraid I'm not corporeal.

I laugh, brokenly. "I'll be fine. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah. I just - Keefe. What if I can't save them?"

"Save who?" I ask, because I'm an idiot. Ask anyone.