Chapter 6

Amar Veer Singhania, Head honcho of Singhania Enterprises, was known in the real estate business as Basalt. He was so christened by those who had the misfortune of dealing with him personally. Word got around quick as lightening of his dark nature and since then, people generally stayed away or knew not to mess with him.

Even his family, what little was left, knew to remain out of his way.

Varun thanked his stars he had unwittingly dodged that particular bullet, years ago.

But, try as he might, he couldn’t erase the memories of that phase of his life. Varun wasn’t keen on examining the reasons why he couldn’t. Maybe some scars took longer to heal than most. Or maybe, he was looking for closure. He squeezed his eyes shut for an agonizing moment. No. That was a closed chapter, and he wished it remained shut for all their sakes.

Singhania stood a foot away, enjoying the panoramic view of the city, the glass walls of his office provided.

“You’ve done well for yourself,” he exclaimed.

“You sound surprised,” replied Varun, not masking the pride he felt at his accomplishment.

Singhania harrumphed, tapped his cane once, and turned to look at the young Turk who was rapidly climbing to the top of the industry he had ruled with iron fists for decades.

Varun lounged back in his chair twirling a golden Mont Blanc pen in between his fingers. He smiled pleasantly at his arch-nemesis, and met his eyes squarely. But he was going crazy in his head not knowing what Singhania wanted from him so bad that he would visit him here unless it was to unsettle him in his base.

“You were always a radical.” Singhania sat across from Varun and shook his head, a silvery fringe falling across his broad forehead. “Never followed a crowd; never did anything that was expected of you. Right when people thought they knew you, you would prove them wrong. Just like that.” Singhania clicked his fingers together in a loud snap.

“Careful. You sound impressed,” Varun mocked.

Singhania leveled a steely stare at him that Varun found disconcerting.

“Unless they know your weakness,” Singhania continued. He shifted forward in his seat and rested his hands atop his cane. “Then you’ll do exactly what is expected of you.” He snapped his fingers together and winked at Varun. “Just like that.”

The resulting pop raised Varun’s hackles. He clenched his jaw and stared at the man he loathed for several reasons - Naina couldn’t become one of them. She didn’t deserve even a shadow of the animosity that existed between him and Singhania.

“I didn’t get to where I am today by parrying unnecessary words with people who don’t matter. State your business or leave.” Varun put all his might behind the words.

Singhania smiled. “Neither did I,” he stated and stood. “I want the Rathod Mansion. Your mother can be a little adamant when it comes to her home and tad clueless when it comes to veiled threats.”

Varun sprung up from his chair and rounded the desk in one fluid move to stand in front of Singhania. “You wouldn’t dare...”

“Relax, no harm done. Not yet.” Singhania tapped his cane hard and turned to leave. “I want the signatures in a week. Mr Gupta will hand you the documents. A week, Varun, not a day more.”

The threat loomed large in the room engulfing the silence with a loud bang; the ‘or else what’ died an instant death on Varun’s tongue. He knew what was at stake. Singhania didn’t get to where he was by parrying unnecessary words with people who didn’t matter. But he had to know.