Chapter 24

Varun was pissed off at himself for acting like a fool that morning – what had he expected, more importantly who did he expect Vansh’s mom to be. What was worse – Naina had seen the whole thing from their window.

He punched the stop button at the 23rd floor and got off the elevator. Needing to burn restless energy, he ran up the rest of the flight of stairs to his office. He wasn’t breathing hard when he entered his cabin few minutes later – result of three months of hard core gymming to exhaust all the sexual energy.

Basalt turned around from the view and pointedly looked at his watch.

“Is this how you work? Late to office…”

“State your business, Basalt. I don’t have time for idle chit-chat,” Varun cut him short in a tone that brooked no argument.

He settled into his chair, drew the top drawer where he kept a framed photo of his wife and his daughter, touched it briefly and closed the drawer.

Resting his back against the chair, he then settled his sharp gaze on the man who seemed hell bent on stirring trouble in his life.

“You know my business, Varun and you haven’t done it yet.”

“We agreed it’ll take time,” Varun said coolly.

“I’m not a patient man,” bit out Singhania.

He looked restless and angst-ridden. The wooden cane tapped on the floor irritating Varun.

Varun rested his elbows on the hand rests and made steeple of his fingers.

“Why do you need the Rathod mansion?” he asked, not because he was interested in knowing what Basalt intended to do with it but more to find out as much information as possible that could help him get out of this sticky situation.

“It should have been mine ten years ago. But, you know what they say - better late than never.”

“That doesn’t answer my question. And it would’ve never been yours.”

“My daughter’s, mine. It’s the same,” Singhania shrugged, sporting an evil smile.

Varun’s eyes flashed at the mention of her. “So, you want the mansion for her?”

“Does it surprise you? You are a fool if you think it was ever about you.”

Varun ground his teeth and narrowed his eyes. “Is she with you? Here in the city?”

Singhania shook his head, showing a rare glimpse of sadness in his eyes. “I don’t know where she is. But, I’ll find her. My men are searching for her. By the time they do, I want the mansion in her name.”

Singhania stood. “She should have rightfully lived there instead of Naina.”

Varun shot off his chair and thumped the table. “Leave Naina out of this!” His eyes flashed.

Singhania smiled sadly, shaking his head. “My daughter came to you eight years ago, begging you to take her back and what did you do? You chose that woman over my daughter.” His eyes raged and he pointed his cane at Varun, accusingly. “That woman who is not worth anything. She came from filth and you reject my daughter.”

“That’s enough,” Varun roared, clenching his fists tight till his knuckles turned white. “Shut your trash and leave Singhania,” he threatened taking a step towards the man who looked insane enough to charge at him with his cane.

“My daughter left me because of you and that woman. She blamed me for losing you.”

“Call security,” he barked into the phone. He then stormed to Singhania and looked into his eyes. “She is not that woman, Singhania. She is my wife and the mansion belongs to her and my mother. And it will remain that way. You just lost your chance at getting it. I will turn it to rubble but you or your daughter will not get your hands on it. Ever. I’ll make damn sure of that. Now leave.”

Two burly security guards stood on either side of Singhania ready to whisk him away.

“You might want to check the red file on your desk before you make decisions you and your wife will regret for life.”

Varun snapped his head towards the file and stared at it. He knew without doubt what it revealed. He had read it so many times he could narrate it backwards. None of it mattered now. He was irrevocably in love with her. If the contents of the file came to light, it would ruin not only Naina’s career but cast a dirty shadow on her reputation. It would kill her. He could never let that happen.

“I knew you would understand its importance,” Singhania’s sickly sweet voice sent a chill down his spine. “I want the signed documents on my desk first thing in the morning,” his stern voice held a note of pride in his ability to bend Varun to his will.

Hands on his hips, his breathing a tad faster than when he had climbed up 7 flights of stairs, he turned to look at Singhania.

“No,” he said and enjoyed the look of utter shock on the viper’s face. “If you do anything to hurt my wife, I’ll make sure that you will never ever see your daughter again.”

Disbelief quoted Singhania’s suddenly tired face. “You don’t know where she is,” he stated but the conviction was lacking in his voice.

Varun smirked. “Don’t I? I drove her away only I know how to get her back to the city.”

“She hated you,” goaded Singhania.

“Not more than she hated you,” he challenged the older man who looked more his age in the last fifteen minutes than he ever did.

“If you hurt her…”

“I’m not interested in her at all Singhania. You can have your daughter back but in return I want you to stay the hell away from our family.”

“I can find her on my own,” he said, his voice frail.

“Like you have in the last eight years? I don’t think so. You are a tired old man who is clutching at straws to get his daughter back before he dies a lonely man.”

The corner of Singhania’s eyes ticked nervously. Varun had hit bull’s eye. The old man was desperate to find his daughter.

“Get her back and I’ll leave you alone. Till then you hold on to the red file. I will not hesitate to use it if you trick me.” Singhania turned towards to the door, jerked his arms away from the security men who reached to hold him, and walked as briskly as his dignity would allow. “Don’t bother burning the file, I have copies,” he warned before taking his leave.

Varun stood stiffly staring at the door closing behind the security men. When he heard the click, he collapsed into his chair, rested his head back, and threw his arms over his eyes.

For long moments, his eyes hurt, his chest ached, and he couldn’t breathe. He knew what he had to do.

Picking up the phone, he dialed the number of a person he swore he would never meet again.

“I need your help,” Varun said curtly when he answered the call.

“Viper? I heard,” the person on the other line was as curt as him.

“He has Naina’s red file,” elaborated Varun.

“Fuck!” he shared Varun’s sentiments. “What do you want to do?

“Find his daughter.”

“She was our best friend. You could be a bit more personal when you refer to her.”

Varun sucked in a breath.

“Fine,” he snapped. “Let’s find my ex-girlfriend.”

********************

Sorry for the short update. It made sense to end the scene here.

Circle of Trust has crossed 3k reads. I can't thank you all enough for all your wonderful support. Please continue to comment and vote. I really look forward to reading your thoughts on the chapter :)

Neeru <3