[ Tanjiro x Reader ]

Edited a bit--

She lies in the hospital's bed, on the crisp but thinning sheets. A curtain hangs limply on the chrome railing, looking like it's been washed a thousand times. With her eyes fixated on the ceiling. All she could hear was the heart rate monitor beeping.

Suddenly she hears the wooden door creak open. Letting Tanjiro walk into the room with ease.

"How are you doing?" He asks with a sad expression on his tanned face. But she doesn't reply.

Tanjiro rests his hand on hers, feeling the coldness in her fingers. The girl intervenes them with his. "Better" She mumbles, loud enough for the boy to hear. 

A relieved chuckle escapes his lips.

"I'm glad. I thought I lost you there. That feeling I felt when I saw that demon grab you..." He whispers the last part, with pain covering his kind eyes.

"I'm sorry..."

Her eyes shifted to the side and became glazed with a glossy layer of tears. As she blinked, they dripped from her eyelids and slid down her cheeks. "These days the word sorry is so meaningless and overused." She spoke sadly. 

His heart sank at the sight of her. The happy girl he knew and loved... Was balling her eyes out, and it's his fault.

"I'm guessing the doctor hasn't told you anything yet." She let out a cold murmur.

"What do you mean?" he asked, trying to stay still.

The girl beamed, making him even more apprehensive. "Tanjiro, I'm glad I met you. I'm glad I get to see your face last."

"What do you mean?" He quickly stood up, placing his hands neatly on her cheeks.

Her thoughts were blank. What a strange occurrence. Normally her thoughts were bending and turning; strangling her with their buzzes.

Her hand reached his forehead slowly. Touching it gently as he looked into her eyes. They were pleading for an answer. He felt lost and confused. 

"I'm sorry, I wish I could've spent more time with you."

Her cold hand fell on the bedsheet.

Tanjiro tried to stay calm as his eyes looked at the girls' face. She wasn't moving. The heart rate monitor let out a long beep. 

His eyes widened, the color drained from his face. And the velvet box fell out of his pocket.

So, uh, I dunno how angsty this is. Or if you can even consider this to be 'angsty'. But... this was requested by KatelynKamado 😤💕