Chapter 4: Twisting and Turning

I'm sorry this is a day late! I was so determined to wait till the evening to post it on Sunday that I ended up forgetting all together! I'm such an idiot haha. Enjoy ❤️

Gellert POV:

Dinner had finally arrived after what felt like forever and I got there just as early as last night, ready and waiting for the Dumbledores to arrive. I suddenly felt very nervous that Albus might now show up again...he wouldn't really do that would he? I wouldn't put it past him.

Tante sat beside me, her conversation distracting me from thinking about it, 'Did you sleep well last night? I never asked,'

'I told you, there vas a strange noise,' I replied, 'I couldn't sleep after that...I'm exhausted,'

'Well, i hope you get a better sleep tonight,' Tante said, pouring me a drink and our food arrived, courtesy of the maid...the maid, why didn't I think of that before?

'I'll only be a moment Tante, I'm just going to get a different fork, this one seems a little dirty,' I lied, whisking off to the kitchen to find the maid picking at leftovers she must have scraped up for herself, poor soul.

'Good evening,' I smiled at her, 'I don't believe ve've officially met, I'm Gellert Grindelwald, Bathilda's nephew,'

She seemed a little startled, 'I know,' she responded quietly, '...Madam Bathilda talks about you all the time,'

I widened my grin, 'And your name is?'

Still unsure, her response was almost a whisper, 'Mary,'

'Vell, Mary, It's a pleasure to meet you,' I told her, feeling pity as she must be very intimidated by me. She was shaking like a leaf. 'Yes, a pleasure indeed,' I repeated before getting to the point, 'How long have you been under my Aunts employment?'

Mary fiddled with her apron, 'About eight months...your aunt is a pleasure to work for, always offers me things and shares her food, even when it's not required,' she gave a small smile.

'So you have been here during the Dumbledore's stay?' I asked, getting excited I might have another source of information.

She nodded, 'Yes...they're not at all what I expected when Bathilda told me children would be staying with her,'

'I quite agree,' I nodded, 'That's vhy I'm asking,  I vanted to know if you know anything about them that I don't...it's vorrying not knowing don't you think?'

'What do you want to know?'

'Do you know anything about their life before here?'

'Only that they were beggars,' she answered, 'Had little money...I find that strange since they had very expensive clothes when they got here, just all muddy and worn from the streets,'

'That is very odd,' I thought aloud, 'I hadn't thought of that...they don't seem particularly low class...no offence-'

Mary almost laughed, 'I understand what you mean sir, I agree, they talk as if they are accustomed to this way of life, they were since they got here. There was no element of shock or anything, just adjustment to change,'

'I see,' I began to piece some things together in my mind before moving on, 'And vhat about Albus?'

She shrugged, 'He doesn't eat very much, I've noticed that for sure, he gets terribly thin when he goes without for a few weeks but then he'll eventually eat a few full meals in a row and the cycle continues. Never leaves his room otherwise,'

'Mmmm,' I already knew most of that so moved on again, 'And vhat about the sister? Ariana?'

Mary shook her head, 'I've never heard her speak a word...I only see her at dinner too but.....not in the same way as Albus,'