Chapter 7: Intertwined

Gellert POV:

When I put on my shirt the next morning, marking a week and a half since I've been here, the extra button at the bottom of it came lose and fell to the floor with white thread trailing after it. I picked it up and put it in my waistcoat pocket and hesitantly went down the stairs in fear of being battered by Tante. I got to the dining room after much debate in my head about what she would say to me only to see she wasn't there waiting for me. To my surprise, Albus was actually here. Was he going to eat with us? I find that odd since he hardly ever eats at all.

I sat down at my place and smiled at him, 'Good morning, Albus, I didn't think you vould eat vith us today. You don't usually take part in breakfast,'

He tugged at his shirt sleeves, looking down again, 'I-I'm h-hungry,'

That didn't shock me as I thought back to this whole week where he hasn't ever fully finished his meals...or even half...not even a quarter. 'Vell I'm glad to see you, I'm afraid Tante might have a few things to say,'

On cue, the woman herself came in with our plates and sat down beside me, 'Good morning you two, I'm glad you could join us today, Albus,'

'It's a p-pleasure,' he nodded, picking up his fork and I watched carefully-but not so carefully to be caught-what he ate. He ate masses compared to usual, three quarters of his meal to be exact, I could hardly believe my eyes.

I'd barely touched my own breakfast I was so fascinated but began to do so when Albus stopped eating. Three bloody quarters. I couldn't even finish half of it it was so big. Now I was confused, how was it he never ate?

Before I could think about it anymore, Tante addressed me, 'We need some more food for tonight, I'd usually get Mary to go to the market but since she has quit and I've yet to employ someone else, I think you ought to do it,'

'Fine,' I accepted it, picking up my napkin before going to get my coat. Feeling guilty Mary felt so upset she had to leave.

'Albus, would you be able to go with him?' Tante asked hopefully, but not too forcefully, 'It would be nice to get out of the house after so long wouldn't it?'

Albus appeared very terrified at the thought of this and looked from me to Tante nervously.

I tried to get him out of it, 'Tante I don't think-'

'N-no...it's f-fine,' Albus interrupted, also standing up, 'I'll.....u-ummm, I-Ill go w-with h-him,'

I stared at him as he went to the coat rack and removed a very expensive looking coat. It was felt and grey with a big collar which he untucked his hair from so it flowed out around him like a lion mane. I followed and put on my very dark blue coat, taking some muggle money from Tante.

'Be back in a few hours,' she said excitedly to us both, she was probably ecstatic at getting Albus to go somewhere. To be honest, so was I. Think of all the things I could find out in a few hours!

I nodded, both of us saying goodbye to my aunt before we stood on the steps and shut the front door behind us. We were immediately hit with some ice cold winds that threw our hair back, I peered over at Albus to see his hair drastically blowing about. It really looked like fire.

I walked all the way down the steps but just as I was about to open the gate, I realised Albus was not behind me. I turned around to see him still on the first step, helplessly flicking his eyes around. It was like he'd forgotten how to walk.

Confused, I made my way back up to him, 'You.....don't have to come if you don't vant to,'

'I-it's not that,' He shook his head, still anxiously glancing at everything for a millisecond before moving focus yet again. His fingers pulled at his sleeves rhythmically as he stayed stuck to the spot, 'I'm j-just..........a-afraid,' he admitted, seemingly pained to say it.