Chapter 14

I handed the guy at the door my ID and he let me in. I made my way to the back of the bar, taking a seat in the corner. I scanned the room looking for anyone I recognized. So far, I hadn't found anyone.

I just sat back. I really wasn't in much of a hurry here. I needed something to take my mind off of everything going on, but hunting wasn't the only thing that could help with that. A waitress came up to the table, "can I get you anything or are you waiting for someone?"

"I'd like a Captain and coke."

"Sure thing."

The woman went back to the bar to get the drink for me and I sat back watching the people walk around the packed bar.

Groups were clustered throughout the bar. The smell of stale beer mixed with sweat filled the place. My nose wrinkled slightly at the smell and how stuffy it was in the small space.

Even though my dad and The Organization had come up empty when he looked into Jared and his family, it still hit hard that there had a chance that he could have been one of those creatures, and I'd had no idea. Any of these people walking around could be some sort of supernatural creature and I wouldn't know it.

I watched a group of people playing pool, laughing and telling jokes. A couple standing close, drunkenly dancing to the loud music playing through the speakers. The other people sitting around talking and drinking.

The waitress brought my drink and I gave her some cash.

"No change."

"Alright, if you need anything else just let me know."

I started sipping the drink relaxing back as I felt it slowing warming me up as it made its way down.

I looked up at the bar noticing a guy sitting alone. I grabbed my drink and made my way over to him, hopping up on the stool right beside him.

"Long day?" I asked him.

He just nodded, downing the drink he had. "Just a bit."

I took another sip of my drink.

"Have you ever wondered what the point of all this was? I mean we just go around, trying to make a living. We work jobs, earn money, we usually hate most of it. What's it even for?" I asked the question before I even thought about it. For some reason asking a stranger just seemed so easy. They didn't know who you were and chances were you wouldn't see them again.

"I've thought about it plenty," he said signaling for another drink.

"And what have you found?"

"I'll let you know when I actually find it. But what I do know, is it helps to find something that makes it worthwhile."

"Like what?"

"Something you care about, or someone. Just anything that you look forward to. A person to go home to, something you can spend some time doing every day."

"That's all bullshit," I said to him. There wasn't anything like that. I mean I liked hunting, it was something I looked forward to. Hell, I was looking for a job right now. It helped keep me calm and it helped ease away the frustration. A person though-

Again Jared popped into my mind, and I wanted him gone. A person to go home to. I wouldn't have that unless it was another hunter, and well, Ian already knew how well that went.

The man just laughed loudly. "Bullshit," he repeated.

"If that's the case, then why are you here?" I asked him. If that's what made it easier then what was he doing sitting alone in a bar?