Chapter 33

Thankfully I had made it back before my father. He hadn't shown up until the next morning in fact. I'd started cleaning up the kitchen after breakfast when he walked through the door.

"Hey dad," I said not bothering to look back.

"Electra. How was headquarters?"

"You mean how was that little experiment you signed me up for?"

"Yeah, that." I wanted to roll my eyes at him.

"It was alright for the most part, expect Ian was one of my instructors. Oh, and I got my butt handed to me a few times in front of like, a hundred people."

"So it all went well then." He was full on smiling by this point.

"Did you know about Ian, Dad?"

"I didn't know about him. If I had, I would have suggested someone else."

"Well apparently his family doesn't sign him up to be in the experiment, they sign him up to teach it," I grumbled.

"His family didn't sign him up for anything. He did it on his own. Ian lives by himself, you live with me. Got that?"

"All I got is that you're telling me I should move out," I said half jokingly.

It was something we never talked about; me moving out. My father even avoided the topic of colleges. Any time a letter came in from one of them following my application submission he avoided it. Something about the last child I suppose. He hadn't wanted any of us to go. If he knew what happened to Sarah and Josh after they left, he'd probably lock me up in the basement and refuse to let me leave the house ever again.

"Funny. So who did you get beat up by?" My father asked.

"Trevor Durin."

"The Durin boy was there? That's interesting. I never thought he would be put there."

"I wasn't so focused on the interesting part, more the my butt hurting part."

"Why'd you fight him?"

"Ian was upset at me, so he set me up. Turned out to bite him back though."

"How so?" My dad's brows rose at that.

"Trevor helped me. By the end we were kicking each other's butts. I was taking him down as much as he was me."

"So it was a good experience for you."

"In that capacity only. All that 'learning' stuff that they had us doing there; I already knew it. Why did you have me go anyway?"

"I wanted to show The Organization that the secondaries could be just as well trained and prepared as the founding families. I had you pretty well seasoned going into the process and it was a way to show a bit of Jaeger flare."

"You sent me in there to make yourself look good."

"To make our family look good."

I did roll my eyes at that. I'd been used. I couldn't say that I hadn't expected it though.

We both stopped for a moment when we heard a knock at the door.

"I'm not just some tool you can use, Dad," I said as I made my way to the front door.

I looked out to see who it was before I opened it. There were weapons strategically placed near the door in case we needed anything. I glanced around to make sure they were all still there. When I looked out though I realized there was no need for any of them.

"Alex, what are you doing here?" I asked, opening the door for her.

"I just wanted to come by and talk to you about-"