Chapter 29

My legs flew out from under me and my back landed hard against the mat. It was the procedure I'd gotten used to. It occasionally it ended the other way now, with me taking him down, but not very often.

We were both catching our breath as I felt Durin shift the majority of his weight onto his elbows.

"That was pretty good," he said, his eyes burning into mine.

"But apparently not good enough," I said quietly as I felt the air shift around us.

"I wouldn't say that Little Jaguar, we're pretty evenly matched," Durin said, voice low.

We were both quiet for a long time, the only sound coming from our own breathing. Everyone else was doing their own thing. We had been given the weekend free to do what we wanted as long as it advanced our knowledge and education of The Organization. We'd chosen sparring, as that was how most of our time together had been spent.

Durin still hadn't moved from his position over me, and I could feel both of our breathing slowing down to a regular pace. When my eyes went back to his I saw how they had darkened and then his lips were on mine.

They were warm and soft, and obviously well practiced. When the initial shock wore off and I was able to work my body, my hands went between us, pushing on his chest to separate us.

"Durin-"

A hand ran over the top of his head and he sighed, moving back and away from me.

"I'm sorry Electra. I really didn't mean for that to happen. You have a boyfriend. That was totally uncool of me."

What was I supposed to say? That's okay? I mean it wasn't like I was going to hold it over his head forever. Well, maybe a little bit. I knew he'd been hitting on me since that first day in the ring; he'd made it perfectly clear. But I'd also made clear that I wasn't available-against my better judgment I'd made it clear I was with someone.

The fact of the matter was, he knew I had a boyfriend.

I'd debated about stopping these little duels. I knew he still liked me and I knew there was a chance it would become a problem. I'd just hoped that it wouldn't. As far as hunters went, I really liked Durin. He was a person I could actually see hanging out with after leaving this hellhole. Heck, I would probably hang out with him before Stacey. Though I supposed that didn't say much since I'd really avoided hanging out with anyone after I'd started this life.

"Let's just forget about it."

The words were out before I'd thought them through. Forget about it, could I do that? Yeah, I probably could, but could Trevor forget about it? That one I wasn't sure of, but he seemed to nod his head in agreement.

"I need to keep working on my homework," I said quietly.

"Alright. But-can we maybe hang out again later?"

"Drop by around seven to see if I'm done," I said. I knew it was probably a bad idea, especially so soon after this whole thing. But I really didn't want to be left by myself to do homework all day. I'd need a distraction at some point; facing off against Durin was fun, and definitely the distraction I needed.

When I got back into my room though, I found a better distraction.

My phone was buzzing on the stand next to my bed and with no roommate in I picked it up, checking the name that went across the screen.

"Hello," I said with a slight smile.

"Hey, I wasn't going to call but I really needed to hear your voice."