Chapter 19

My dad had brought me home from my appointment with the shrink and I'd dressed in my hunting gear before he left for headquarters. I told him I was going out for a job so he would hopefully refrain from checking up on me. At least for a while. After I watched his Jeep pull out of the drive and start off down the road I went to the basement into the armory.

My dad had asked me to make more wolfsbane soaked bullets as well as bullets with the poison inside.

I grabbed dried bits of the plant, flasks, silver, and other stray supplies I needed to do what he asked.

I set a pot boiling with water and grabbed the mold and molter. I threw in a couple small chunks of the silver to melt down and waited for everything to start working.

I sent a text to Jared reminding him that I really needed to talk to him in person, and that he could come over whenever he wanted.

I set the phone down and took the wolfsbane, grinding it into a fine powder. The silver had started to liquify so I added a few more pieces in, waiting for that to do the same. As I worked, I still had the shrink appointment stuck in my head. Everything we'd talked about. We were now down to an appointment every other week which was nice, but it still meant I had to go in every other week.

I took the pot of boiling water off and distributed it between three large flasks. I then took flakes of the wolfsbane and added some to each flask, watching at the water tinted slightly from the plant.

I added more silver to the pot until I had the amount I needed in there and waited for it to finish melting. The shrink's words rang through my mind, you seem different today. More open, less relaxed. It's like there's been a change.

Of course I was less relaxed, because there was a change, and I was going to talk to that change. My world had been flipped and I no longer knew which way was up. Had I been more open? I really hoped not.

I added bullets that were already made up into the bane liquid to let them soak. I'd add more to them when they were finished.

When the silver was done melting I pulled out the molds, some looking like regular bullets. Then a new set we'd recently gotten from The Organization. The new ones created bullets with hollowed out centers where the bane would go. As I set the molds on the counter, my phone started to buzz

I looked down seeing a text from Jared.

I'm out front.

I cursed quietly. I hadn't thought he'd come right this second. When I looked at the clock though, I saw it had actually been a couple hours. I'd gotten lost in the time.

I couldn't leave everything here when it was just started though. The silver needed to be poured and I needed to get the molds set up right, but I wasn't sure if Jared should come down into the basement. I groaned. I couldn't waste these ingredients. I especially couldn't leave the silver to keep cooking, and I also couldn't let it cool down in this large clump. My dad would ask what had happened and we'd have to wait until we got more in. I really didn't care to explain to him that Jared had been over while he'd been gone.

Down in basement. Door's unlocked.

I hesitantly pushed the send button. I really wasn't sure about any of this, about him, about us, about letting him see the weapons room.

What I was hesitant about didn't matter anymore because as I started pouring the silver into the casts, I heard him making his way down the stairs.

"Electra?"

I was quiet a moment, but I knew it was pointless. He was here, I'd told him to come down here.

"Back here."