Chapter 24

The trail to the top of Crescent hill was occasionally very steep. In the ice and snow, Pip's yellow converse slipped on everything. Krey's black boots helped to stay grounded, though even he occasionally felt unsteady.

Pip was clumsy, and all it took was a breathy wind to make him fall. Once Pip was unstable, he couldn't regain his balance.

They neared the top, and the snow was falling harder.

"Have you been to Crescent hill before?" Pip asked, a little out of breath.

"A few times. You?"

"I used to go a lot. It's quiet."

"It is," Krey agreed.

They had seen nobody on the trail so far, until suddenly an older man and his sheepdog strolled into view, walking down the hill and covered in snow.

"Oh, Pippor, hello lad," the man said, tipping the front of his cap. He looked to Krey and said nothing.

"Hi, Daniel." Pip smiled at the sheepdog, who stared at Krey, motionless. Her tail pointed out as though something troubled the dog.

"Come," Daniel said with a strange frown. "Ester, Come." He moved down the hill and expected the dog to follow. She didn't.

Pip had known Daniel for years; everyone knew him. He was the local farmer and had Ester, the dog, for as long as Pip could remember. Ester was a well-trained pet and was exceptionally loyal to Daniel. She never disobeyed his commands.

"Ester," Daniel said again. Her blue eyes looked up at Krey and nowhere else. Krey stared back, not breaking the gaze.

"Krey, l-let's go," Pip said. Dogs made him anxious. He reached out to tug lightly on Krey's sleeve. As soon as his fingers grazed the material, Ester bared her teeth and barked at Pip.

Pip gasped and jumped back. He slipped on the frozen ground while Ester growled.

"No!" Krey demanded, and Ester stopped immediately. She laid on the ground, whimpering. Krey leaned over her, and she rested her jaw to the floor. "Go," he growled.

Ester shot away from him and back down the hill.

Daniel's suspicious eyes didn't follow his dog; he watched Krey. "Pippor," he said in a hard tone. "Be safe up there."

Pip, still on the floor, looked down the hill as Daniel hesitantly left them alone to follow his dog. Before he could get up himself, hands were under his arms, pulling him to his feet.

"That was- strange," Pip observed.

"Why?" Krey asked. Keep dropping the clues.

"W-Well, Ester usually only responds to Daniel. It was suddenly like y-you were in charge," Pip said with a chuckle.

Krey's face didn't move an inch. "We're almost at the top," he said and turned to continue walking. He felt Pip staring, which was a good sign. Pip suspected something.

"D-Do you like dogs?" Pip asked, trying to catch up with Krey's long strides.

"No."

"Oh." Pip followed him the best he could. Krey had started marching with a frown.

"Do you?" Krey asked, watching him from the corner of his eye.

"I used to," Pip said. Now I'm just scared.

Krey seemed to notice Pip struggling to keep up and stopped storming ahead. Dogs were territorial. Krey was an Alpha, the top of the pack, while dogs were even below omegas. They obeyed humans until a werewolf was around.