Chapter 32

A high-pitched noise rang loud in Pip's ears. "With the same person?" he asked, being the one to stare intensely into Krey's dark eyes, though Krey didn't shy away, and stared back just as firmly.

"Yes."

"A-And that's me?"

"Yes."

Pip's thoughts exploded, making a mess in his head. "Why me?"

"I told you. My soul chose you."

"So... it wasn't you?"

"Not a conscious choice," Krey admitted, "but the right choice."

Pip's mouth hung open. His eyes glazed over for a moment as he digested the information. "How did you know it was me?"

"I dreamt about you." Pip frowned, and Krey warmed to the core. "I think the night you broke into the institute started everything."

Pip thoughtfully ran the tips of his fingers across his bottom lip and uncrossed his legs. "How does it all work? N-not just the mate thing, but the wolf thing. Is it magic?"

Krey shrugged. "The wolf isn't physical until I've shifted forms. Right now, my wolf is just a feeling, I guess."

"You can feel it inside you?"

Krey nodded. "Like when there's a full moon; it gets a little agitated, or when there's a cat or something nearby, or when I'm near you."

"Y-Your wolf is agitated around me?" Pip asked, his blue eyes turned a little rounder.

"You're my mate, Pip. Your scent drives my wolf crazy."

Pip blushed and pursed the lips that Krey wanted to kiss. "So... um..." Pip tapped the ends of his fingers together. He was now a lot more curious than fearful. He wanted to know everything he possibly could about Krey. Pip didn't have to question whether Krey was playing a joke on him because he had seen Krey's transformation with his own eyes. Pip also didn't think Krey was the type to be quite that cruel. "What, uh- what does it mean to be a mate? I don't quite understand that part. Is this a magic thing? Or- or is it just attraction or something."

Krey frowned thoughtfully. "It's more than attraction." He sighed. "I don't really know how to explain it without confusing you." Krey moved on the bed and crossed his legs, making himself comfortable. "You're not just my mate, but I'm yours too. We'll both feel, I don't know, connected. We're both bound by, I guess, a force that we won't see but can feel." Pip didn't look like he understood just how much Krey cared for him now that he was a mate. "When you trespassed, I couldn't care less about you. Now that you're my mate, I would die for you. Do you understand?"

Pip's brows almost shot through the roof. "That's an extreme way to feel for someone you've known for only three weeks."

"It's not for mates, and you'll feel that way too, eventually."

Pip looked around Krey's face. He seemed serious enough. Pip glanced down to his fingers and flexed them. Just hints of bruises remained, and they didn't hurt anymore.

Krey thought about the night Pip was in the cellar and how ruthless he had been to his future mate. He wished he wasn't, but yelling threats was the most efficient way to get people to do what he wanted, in his experience. "I am not a kind person Pip. It's best that you know that now." Krey turned his head with a scowl. He didn't want to see Pip's expression.

Pip climbed off the windowsill and onto his bed.

Krey felt the mattress dip, but he still didn't look.

Pip sat down at the other side of the bed and crossed his legs too. "You've been kind to me, though."

"I'm not always like that. I can be really horrible. I'm sorry that you're tied to me like this." Krey didn't look. He hated how unfair the bond was for Pip. His mate deserved someone so much better, and a life free from fear. If Krey got another werewolf, at least he wouldn't drag his mate into a dangerous way of living.